Q&A HELP! REPLACING MASONRY FIRE BOX IN OLD HOUSE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an old house with a masonry fireplace that was damaged in the Northridge earthquake.

I am interested in installing some kind of a "pre-fab" metal fire box but the opening is an odd size.
Do you know where I can find something that will work?
Do you know of anyone who does custom sizes or can modify an existing size so it will work?

Answer:

I don't know of custom sizes, however most people are replacing these fireboxes with masonry ones designed for just that. There is a chimney sweep supply company called Copperfield (every sweep knows about them), which handles some of these units. I'm not sure if these are metal of masonry.

The typical metal heatform fireplaces are designed to be built-in before the fireplace constructions..and this is why you are having a tough time with the fit.

One company that might be able to help with a unit like this is Kozy-Heat..... http://www.kozyheat.com

Link: Kozy Heat Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.