help replacing maul handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
heres the maul..the handle is about shot....this is the same maul..original handle i used when i was a kid...so this handle has been a good one...
i know u epoxy the handle on i think....epoxy come with handle?...if not what kind of epoxy to use?

There's a bit of debate concerning epoxy vs no epoxy. To go without tap the handle into the head, taking off wood at the high spots periodically till it more or less fits. Then bang the handle in with the head in a vise, cut off the extra that sticks out, tap a wood wedge in the slot in the handle, then tap the steel wedge in diagonal across the slot and wood wedge. The handles and wedges are sold seperateky at my Home Depot so keep that in mind. You'll also want a sledge replacement handle not an axe one for your maul head. I don't know exactly what the epoxy method involves but this is the way I learned

yeah ive seen that done with the wood handles..but this is a fiberglass handle....all the wooden handles ive seen available have the axe type fitting on the end..much bigger than the hole in this maul

I did one several years ago.
Yellow plastic/synthetic handle.
Used the 5 minute epoxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.