Help Roospike and Gunner, plus any other Summit owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
OK, first fire today, I am worried!!!!!!!! I had an excellent draft with my Avalon Pendleton, so I figured the draft would just as good with my Summit. I am disappointed so far, I have had the stove opened up all the way for some time now (2 hours) and it is not burning very well at all. I am wondering if I did something to my chimney pipe when I installed the stove today. It goes straight up and out to the roof, pretty simple installation. Should there be a great difference in draft with this Summit or is this happening because the stove is new. Help, Help, I am driving myself mad trying to figure this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any things I should check?

Get thee behind me Satin. And don't push.

JFK said:

Just a reference to all of the Summit bashing going on lately.

Hopefully the guys will be along shortly to help you out.

wait. hold on.

can you repeat that.

a summit that isn't working properly?

did you hear that?

it was the earth grinding to a halt on its axis.

Well I am a Summit Rookie, 1 st burn tonight, things are not going too well. I must have a draft problem somewhere. When I open the door and keep it open a little the draft is like my Old Avalon. When I shut the door, the draft is not very good in my eyes. I hope things get better

JFK said:
OK, first fire today, I am worried!!!!!!!! I had an excellent draft with my Avalon Pendleton, so I figured the draft would just as good with my Summit. I am disappointed so far, I have had the stove opened up all the way for some time now (2 hours) and it is not burning very well at all. I am wondering if I did something to my chimney pipe when I installed the stove today. It goes straight up and out to the roof, pretty simple installation. Should there be a great difference in draft with this Summit or is this happening because the stove is new. Help, Help, I am driving myself mad trying to figure this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any things I should check?

PM Spike and Gunner. That way it will show up in their email and they will know there is a "Summit emergency" out there.

What do you mean "opened up" door open or air all the way open.

It takes awhile to drive off any moisture in the firebricks (mine were wet) and get a good ash+ coal bed.

You are doing 3 break in fires right?

Refresh our memory about your chimney.

Hmmm, What size liner is it? Did you do a draft test? a lit match some newspaper? Woods dry?
Another dumb question, but, you do have the air intake lever open to left right?
Do you have outside air kit, if not did you knock out the inside air intake knock out?
Are you getting any blaze at all?
A good bed of coals is a must. Or it will just smolder.
Mine also had not moist, but wet firebricks, they are sealed in plastic and mine were very wet.
Try some small kindling/pallet wood etc.

Yep, I am having a small fire, my temp on the stove pipe right now is at 300. When I say open up, I mean putting it on "H". I did knock out that circle to reveal the small hole in the back of the stove for "Room air", this something I should have done correct. I am getting a fire, just not the draft that I used to have it seems. Yes, my fire bricks were moist, might be the problem I guess. My chimney is single clearance, goes up through my Florida room and out to the roof. Good seasoned wood

What is the height of the chimney?

Wait till you drive the moisture out of the bricks and are burning on 1" of ash.

Yes the knock out is correct.

Yah I kind of forgot about getting 1 inch of ash, no where's close to that right now, seems to be burning a little better. Height of my chimney inside or outside the roof? From stove to ceiling? Thanks for your time Gunner

My temp is now at 500 F, I just closed the stove down, not all the way, secondary burn is pretty sweet. What temp should I shoot for with this stove? Auto Blower just kicked on, things I think are getting better.

Got a bed of coals? Got a five hundred stovetop? Close it down and let EBT take over.

The knock out on mine was on the side casing, left side if facing stove front.
Depends how warm you want the house/room. I range from 450-600. 450 on milder nights, 600 on colder ones. On below 20 nights, I let her get up to 600, cut the air off, then she will go to 650-sometimes 750, for an hr or so, then level back off at 600 for a few hours, then gradually decline. I find mine seems to like 600. I cut the air back at about 450-500. Sounds like your getting there. Remember, your used to burning & characteristics of an Avalon. It will be a lil different than what you are used to.
Stay calm, get her going, enjoy it, and you'll basically be relearning a lil bit to the new stove and how she functions, sweet spot etc.

Not a full bed of coals yet, about 425-450 temp, blower keeps kicking on and off(working well). Only about 75% bed of coals, stove appears to be working much better now, thanks for the input Bother Bart and Hogwildz. I am feeling much better now. If I could email you all some beer I would. Stove appears to be working well. Thanks again

Yeppers , Wet bricks here too when new. You'll also see moisture in the bricks on the first fire of the year. Nice coal bed , nice ash bed and dry the bricks out.

So your taking chimney temp reading correct ? So when you talk temp then we know if your talking chimney pipe , stove top or stove front.

Did you get the ash clean out system ? If so make sure to fill the "ASH HOLE" with fine ash to seal the system otherwise if you just put coal chunks down there it will pull air. ( its in the owners manual ) MAKE sure to READ your owners manual.

The Summit will teach YOU how to run her , ya just have to pay attention to what she is saying.

Roospike, I have my Rutland Burn Indicator about 6 inches above the stove on my chimney pipe. Should I put it higher on the pipe, or where do you recommend?
Oh, I have the ash clean out system too, that was a must have when I bought this. Have a good night

BrotherBart said:
Got a bed of coals? Got a five hundred stovetop? Close it down and let EBT take over.

word :lol:

Height of my chimney inside or outside the roof? From stove to ceiling? Thanks for your time Gunner

From stove collar to the top minus the cap.

JFK said:
Not a full bed of coals yet, about 425-450 temp, blower keeps kicking on and off(working well). Only about 75% bed of coals, stove appears to be working much better now, thanks for the input Bother Bart and Hogwildz. I am feeling much better now. If I could email you all some beer I would. Stove appears to be working well. Thanks again

My auto fan kicks on/off at about 350-400, I leave in manual on. If a dead cold start I leave it off till up to temp. then back on and let her run. Glad its working for ya now.
She should give you plenty of heat when you call for it.

JFK said:
Roospike, I have my Rutland Burn Indicator about 6 inches above the stove on my chimney pipe. Should I put it higher on the pipe, or where do you recommend?
Oh, I have the ash clean out system too, that was a must have when I bought this. Have a good night

Move it up the pipe closer to around 18"

Status
Not open for further replies.