Help selecting a gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsh

Nov 1, 2013
WI
We seem to have presented an impossible challenge to our local fireplace dealers. Our existing fireplace opening is 30" wide X 29" tall. It is surrounded by stone that we do not want to cut or cover up.

The most promising idea so far is a proposal to install a Kingsman IDV33, but they do not have a surround that will work. I said please get me the proposal excluding the surround & I will get something fabricated to cover the side & top gaps as long as the surround is cosmetic only.

I also asked them to do a proposal for a Vermont Castings insert since they are a dealer & the website says it can fit in a 30" width. The dealer got back to me & said the Vermont Castings insert won't fit because the controls on the side make the width > 30". I read through the Kingsman manual & it looks like that unit will have the same problem.

Do I understand this correctly that both units must have the controls removed and installed in the surround in order to fit in a 30" width? Is this really that difficult or is there an easy solution that our local dealers aren't coming up with?

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.