Help! Smoke back drafting out of pipes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noiruuk

Oct 1, 2008
PA
Hi folks,

I have had my EKO-40 running since Thanksgiving, and up until this week it has been working very well. However, about a week ago it became difficult to maintain a burn, and on occasion it would puff smoke out of the flue pipe where they connect. This happened a little bit at first, seemed to be ok once a good burn started going, but over the week has gotten worse. Last night, it filled my entire basement with smoke that permeated throughout the house and I had to shut down the boiler and open all the windows to clear it out (2am and hovering at 0 degrees).

Why would it be running just fine with no smoke in the basement, then all of a sudden start spewing smoke out of the pipe? It almost seems like it doesn't want to draft, but it worked great for two months and I've checked to ensure no obstructions. It has gotten colder this week, but I've been told that wouldn't affect it.

Also, I don't know if this is related, but the lever on the side that cleans the heat exchanger...well, it no longer stays in position. It will now fall to where it's pointing downward. I didn't know if this was just normal looseness that occurs with use, or if something inside broke and is causing poor performance?

Has anyone seen this kind of sudden refuse-to-draft spew-smoke-out-the-pipe-seams kind of behavior?

Two thinks come to mind
If you have a cap it may be pluged as chimney caps tend to plug as your flue temps are so low in an gasifier that the water deposites right away on the cap. I don't see any need for a cap. If you want you can put it on when you stop running in the spring.
Second, It sounds like the turbulators might have come loose. Pull the top cover off in back, remove the 12 or so nuts on the plate and you can see the whole turbulator assembly. Clean things up and make sure every thing is attached.
Hope this helps
leaddog

ps- also make sure the pipe is not loose comeing out of the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.