HELP!! stove top 750-800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmerchant

Jul 29, 2009
Cheshire, CT
I have a Vermont Castings Dutchwest Convection stove. I have 2 thermometers on stove top that are reading close to 800 deg. and the probe thermometer for the catalyst is 1450 deg.
How do I keep the temps from going any higher. My concern with opening the damper is it will get the flue temps to high and cause the liner to glow, but now the inside top of the stove is glowing. Any suggestions.

burn it said:
I have a Vermont Castings Dutchwest Convection stove. I have 2 thermometers on stove top that are reading close to 800 deg. and the probe thermometer for the catalyst is 1450 deg.
How do I keep the temps from going any higher. My concern with opening the damper is it will get the flue temps to high and cause the liner to glow, but now the inside top of the stove is glowing. Any suggestions.

Shut your air down.

zap

Hi Burn It,
As Zapny advices you, you definitely need to close the air intake, in order to “choke” the unit as much as possible, this will help you reduce your flue temperatures. But, having these problems is not a normal thing. You should definitely make sure that the chimney gets swept asap, usually this kind of problem happens because you have a restriction (creosote build ups, birds nest, or other) in your chimney. You definitely want to avoid having a chimney fire.

I am thinking he has choked it all the way. He is making more smoke to feed the CAT and is getting these high temps because of that, but only at the Cat/above or across the whole top? I actually think your OK. The glowing you say is from the inside right?

burn it said:

Next load put larger splits, don't overload with thin splits. Check for leaks if you have the primary air shut down.

burn it said:

I'd say that 1450 at the cat is OK and tells me you're cat works well. My old CDW has air chambers for the convection system so my top will never get that hot . If your stove is a convection model a blower will make a huge difference as the air extracts that heat and I feel will extend the life of the stove..

Ray

Even though 1450 is ok for the cat continuous internal temps that high are not good for the cast iron. Occasional spikes are fine, glowing cast iron is not. When my stove top gets up over 700 I bypass the cat for a few minutes and she will drop, then I reengage and the stove will settle down.

Todd said:
Even though 1450 is ok for the cat continuous internal temps that high are not good for the cast iron. Occasional spikes are fine, glowing cast iron is not. When my stove top gets up over 700 I bypass the cat for a few minutes and she will drop, then I reengage and the stove will settle down.

Hi Todd I hear what you're saying and your situation is different because you don't have a convection stove.. A convection stove will extract the heat so the cast iron will not achieve extreme temps because it is cooled by the air movement.. I rarely run the stove without the blower and if I do it is because I am getting the stove started.. Radiant heat stoves such as yours ( I love your stove) is a different animal than my convection/radiant stove.. If I were to switch to a radiant stove I would have one like yours because they are much less harsh in surface temps...

Ray

raybonz said:
Todd said:

Hi Todd I hear what you're saying and your situation is different because you don't have a convection stove.. A convection stove will extract the heat so the cast iron will not achieve extreme temps because it is cooled by the air movement.. I rarely run the stove without the blower and if I do it is because I am getting the stove started.. Radiant heat stoves such as yours ( I love your stove) is a different animal than my convection/radiant stove.. If I were to switch to a radiant stove I would have one like yours because they are much less harsh in surface temps...

Ray

Hi Ray,
I realize it's a convection stove but he stated his stove is glowing inside which to me says that's too hot for cast iron or maybe he's talking about the cat glowing? He also stated his stove top is at 800! Seems awful high for a convection stove? I can see your point with the blower, it should cool her down as well.

Todd said:
raybonz said:
Todd said:

Ray

Hi Ray,
I realize it's a convection stove but he stated his stove is glowing inside which to me says that's too hot for cast iron or maybe he's talking about the cat glowing? He also stated his stove top is at 800! Seems awful high for a convection stove? I can see your point with the blower, it should cool her down as well.

I was thinking the cat was glowing too.. I have a cooktop which resides above the cat and I have seen the cast iron glow a dull red (can only see if the lights are off) in the center where the cat probe is located (I would expect this to get quite hot as it is a couple inches above the cat) and the cooktop is still in good shape.. With the blower the firebox cast iron will not build up excess heat because it is constantly being cooled by the air passing over the cast iron.. It would helpful if we could actually see what the OP is talking about.. Not arguing just discussing the possibilities here..

Ray

I also figured the glow was from the cat. I just love it when the cat gets really red as it is really neat. But 800 degree stovetop is pushing things a bit.

Sorry for delay getting back. The cat was glowing, which I understand to be normal from other posts I've read here. The inside ceiling around the cat was a dull orange. The primary air was completely shut of. From what I have read here and learned is the less primary air the hotter my fire gets. Just did a sweep this week so I know my stainless liner is clean. The other funny thing is after sweeping, I removed the top of the stove to clean out what was swept and any buildup and to inspect the cat. The cat is half way through its 9th life with some cracks. One other piece of info which I think is the culprit. Although I have been using this stove for 3 years before this season, it wasn't until last year I put in a insulated liner, thanks to you all. The highest tempt last year was 1200 cat and 650 stove top. This year on 2 particular burns I noticed flame activity in one corner. That just so happens to be a corner on the outside of the stove I questioned a gap where the front meets the side. I tested with a match and did find it to put the flame a little. The thing I don't understand is why didn't this happen sooner.
Would you recommend some stove cement in the crack. This stove was a primary heater but will be probably used very little if at all when I get the Englander 30 installed.

How tall is your chimney? Sounds like your improved draft may be causing some undesired results. My old cat insert ran away from me once, I did not notice a tiny sliver of charcoal that got caught in the gasket on the ash drawer. It allowed enough air to enter that I could not control the fire at all the only thing that saved the cat was I only put two small splits in that morning.

burn it said:
Sorry for delay getting back. The cat was glowing, which I understand to be normal from other posts I've read here. The inside ceiling around the cat was a dull orange. The primary air was completely shut of. From what I have read here and learned is the less primary air the hotter my fire gets. Just did a sweep this week so I know my stainless liner is clean. The other funny thing is after sweeping, I removed the top of the stove to clean out what was swept and any buildup and to inspect the cat. The cat is half way through its 9th life with some cracks. One other piece of info which I think is the culprit. Although I have been using this stove for 3 years before this season, it wasn't until last year I put in a insulated liner, thanks to you all. The highest tempt last year was 1200 cat and 650 stove top. This year on 2 particular burns I noticed flame activity in one corner. That just so happens to be a corner on the outside of the stove I questioned a gap where the front meets the side. I tested with a match and did find it to put the flame a little. The thing I don't understand is why didn't this happen sooner.
Would you recommend some stove cement in the crack. This stove was a primary heater but will be probably used very little if at all when I get the Englander 30 installed.

Good sleuthing. Stronger draft is making the leak more obvious. Cement the crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.