Help! Troybuilt or speeco woodsplitter???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puller738

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2009
IL
I need to buy a splitter. Looking at a 27 ton troybuilt with a 5.5 horse honda engine on it for $1350. My other option is a 25 ton speeco with a 10 horse briggs on it for $1100. Both have the same options but it seems like the speeco is built a little better and its a little cheaper. I do like the honda engine on the TB as i'm sure it burns less gas. Anybody have any experience with either of these splitters. thanks

I bought the TroyBilt 27 ton model this year. So far it hasn't skipped a beat splitting 8 cords of hardwood. The honda engine is fairly quiet and does good on fuel.

I'm happy with the 27 Ton Troy-built I bought last fall. It starts easy and goes through all kinds of knotty wood easily. I get the feeling repair and maintenace parts are not cheap. The dealer wanted $3.00 for one 5/16 inch self tapping screw that sheared on the log cratle, hard to find in the hardware store. And they wanted $22 for the Hydraulic Filter (Napa has a much less expensive replacement).But I would buy this splitter again.

I have the troy built more than 75 cords done with it no real problems yet.

fire_man said:
I'm happy with the 27 Ton Troy-built I bought last fall. The dealer wanted $3.00 for one 5/16 inch self tapping screw that sheared on the log cradle, hard to find in the hardware store.

I had the same issue on my Cub Cadet splitter. I drilled out all the holes for 3/8" and installed grade 8 bolts & nuts. The metal of the cradle will probably tear before these bolts shear off.

Most folks here will tell you that for the price the Speeco/Huskee splitter or the MTD/Cub Cadet/White/Troy-bilt/Other Clone splitters are both decent splitters that should provide you with years of splitting enjoyment . . . what it seems to boil down to for most folks is the final price, power unit and in some cases the extras (log cradles, lights, etc.). In my own case I went with the MTD because I could buy it locally at my True Value Hardware store and the price was better than most other places -- it didn't have the Honda engine, but I figure Briggs and Stratton engines are pretty reliable and I can easily repower it should I need to in the future. As mentioned the Achilles Heal of the MTD cloned splitter are the bolts on the cradle . . . after you shear them once you'll either do what Peter did and install better bolts or you'll just be more careful in the splitting.

FWIW, I've had/have a few Honda engines and many B&S engines. I've never *EVER* had a Honda engine that wasn't easy to start...period. By the same token, I have 25+ yr old B&S engines that still run fine (oldest Honda I have is 8yrs old, so I cannot compare...yet).

I went MTD/Troy-Bilt. I got a deal at $1100 with some discounts.

I'd go with the less expensive one. They're both fine.

I would/did replace the cradle 5/16 bolts with Grade 8 5/16 x 18 x 1" bolts. The 1" length makes them easier to get out after you break them. I just grab them with vise-grips and run them on though. They don't break often, usually if I have somebody helping.

ATB,
Mike

I bought the 22 ton Speeco last fall and have split aprox 10 cords with it. No issues so far. I am splitting wood today.

I have a Speeco 22, splits anything I have. Unless you are constantly splitting some real nasty stuff I don't see why you would need a 27. B&S engine starts easy, 1st or 2nd pull.

I would compare the cycle time on each. I have the 27 troy bilt and it has a 19 second cycle time(slow) the speeco splitter will probably be faster. I knew it was slower when I bought it, I liked the Honda engine and other features over the speeco my local tractor supply had. I've split 20 cords in the last year and it's working fine.

Thanks for everyone's input. I just bought the speeco and now its time to put it to the test. The speeco was a little cheaper and it just seemed a little more rugged- we will see. I'll let you know if I have any problems with it. Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.