help understanding building code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Whin i went to install my stove in my garage i called the insurance company to see if they had any requirements and they didn't. I then called the local building inspector and he said that if the garage was going to contain cars the the stove must be 18 inches off of the concrete floor? what? whats the deal with that?

In many places you cannot install a solid fuel appliance in a garage at all. The reason for having it up off the floor I assume is to keep fumes from gasoline and other combustibles gasses from getting pulled into the stove and causing an explosion.

You can't put out a solid fuel fire fast enough if there were a fuel spill. I know a guy who almost lost his shop when the refrigerator touched off a gas spill.

i can understand that but it was only if i was going to keep a car in it. Noting was said about keeping 1000 gallons of fuel in it just if it kept a car.

i understand that but u can keep a leaking fourwheeler, leaking mowers ,weedeaters, k-1, desiel, fuel oil or anything else it was just cars no other stipulations.

He probably just asked about cars because its the best chance to get straight to his answer. He has a greater chance of you storing cars in a garage than anything else. Also if he used some big technical phrase trying to generalize all volatile fuel machines or containers most people would not even know what he was talking about.

I would take your 18" high hearth and be happy. Most places would not allow it at all.

18" height also applies to gas/oil furnaces,gas or oil hot water heaters. Nat. gas is lighter than air, but propane is heavier, sinks to floor level. Been in BOCA/IBC codes for several years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.