Help us please! ST.Croix Auburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristinaC

Jan 31, 2015
Hillsdale, MI
My husband and I took his mom to town earlier and when we got home our pellet stove had went out but when we tried to relight it the stove wouldn't light. We have tried cleaning all the vents and using different pellets. We really need the heater to work tonight or all of our stuff will freeze. Anyone know anything that might help?

Need more details like stove make, cleaning regimen, how old of stove, how many pellets burnt since last proper cleaning and probably a few more details but lets start with the basics.

Reactions: kappel15
Is it manual start or does it have an igniter?

It is a Saint Croix. He takes all pipes out and cleans the out, sprays fans with wd-40 and wipes them off, he uses a coat hanger to clean the vents inside, and emptys all ash from anywhere in the stove. We aren't quite sure on how old it is his father bought it from a friends dad. Seven 40lb bags since last good cleaning.

There are lot of StCroix owners here and hopefully with thread change they will chime in. That stove has a back passage that gets plugged with ash and can be problematic till you get the cleaning figured out.

Does the exhaust fan start? Step 1, Do the pellets start with a good flame or snuff out about as fast as you close the door? Just trying to give others a handle on the problem as I step out. Good luck

It sounds like a fan is working. The pellets start out with good flame but when we shut the door and turn it on they die out almost instantly and then the house fills with smoke.

Where is the back passage located exactly?

The back passage is between the two ash doors to either side (and just below) the burn pot. There is a passage between them that needs to be cleaned. There May be another clean out behind the ash pan (that varies from stove to stove, and for various years).

When you try to light the stove, exactly what happens? Do any fans start? Do any pellets fall?

Let me make sure I understand - do you have to light the pellets yourself (manual start)? That is what it sounds like from your previous comment, just want to make sure we are speaking same language

Does the exhaust fan start? Step 1, Do the pellets start with a good flame or snuff out about as fast as you close the door? Just trying to give others a handle on the problem as I step out. Good luck
This video show an example of getting to hidden spots in a St Croix depending on model. https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...a&sigb=13sagsb4d&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Definitely sounds like an air problem if it snuffs out right after closing the door. Do you have an OAK (Outside Air Kit), or does it draw room air?

Yes we have to light the pellets ourselves. When we turn it on the fans start and the flames go out then it shuts itself off or the flames will stay going and it will still shut itself off. We have been trying to get it to run for three hours now with these two outcomes.

You have had it long enough to know the starting procedure so do you have the manual? If not you can download it from St Croixs website. I did that a month ago and it explained how it worked and some trouble shooting ideas if it is giving you trouble. when you hit the on button do the fans work? There should be a proof of heat sensor that will sense the correct temp for it to start augering fuel.
Anyway watch the lights flashing as they will tell you what is happening with your stove. Does it fail to auger fuel into the pot?

Check to make sure your ash doors are still in place, and that the grate is closed. Also make sure your ash pan and hopper are closed (don't look at them - re-do the steps).

Sounds like either it is plugged up with ash, or there is a problem with the vacuum switch. Have you checked the passage between the ash doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.