Help us return to a Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirate

May 28, 2006
Greetings. We moved into a 1993 home last fall. This home has a fireplace with an Xtec woodinsert in it. When I inspected the home, we noticed the tile chimney flue (10"?) was in bad shape. It appeared it was never cleaned. The old homeowner had someone come out. They put in a stainless steel liner (8") that is now connected to the Xtec woodinsert.

Over the winter, had problems with the stove. We had to leave the door open a crack to make it burn, it created way too much heat, it is extrememly noisy (fireplace in living room) from the fan, and you can hardly see the fire because the glass soots up fast. I've called the Xtec builders and talked with them several times to make sure all is set up ok. Now, we constantly get the smell of smoke in the house. I think that the air is heating the creasote/soot built up around the exterior of the insert and blowing into the room when the air conditioner kicks on. Regardless, we want to get rid of this beast.

We would like to remove the woodinsert and just use the fireplace. There is no damper or anything else. One guy told me that in order to do this and prevent smoke, I would have to stack a pile of bricks in the firebox opening (36 wide x 30 high) and build a fire on that. I thought about putting in a factory zero clearance type fireplace so I had a surround to blow out hot air if I wanted it and it would provide the glass doors and screen. I was told I couldn't use one of those because they needed a dual type stainless liner system and to do that, I would have to tear out the existing tiles and start over.

What can we do to revert to a traditional fireplace? Any ideas? Thanks.

Remove the insert, remove the liner, get the chimney repaired and up to code. I would never go to a ZC box, ther junk and do not offer any usable heat. There basicly air conditioners in the winter, much like your existing fireplace will be when you remove the insert. Why dont you just install i new fireplace insert that you like? or go to a gas insert? Fireplaces polute, and are a total waste of money. New inserts are clean burning, the glass stays clean, and they can heat your home in the winter.

What is a ZC? We don't want to heat with wood. My wife is disabled and would only like me to cook a few logs every now and then to take the chill off the room. How should I fix the chimney?

Pirate said:
What is a ZC? We don't want to heat with wood. My wife is disabled and would only like me to cook a few logs every now and then to take the chill off the room. How should I fix the chimney?

The 8" liner is not capable of venting the entire fireplace - and that is why someone suggested that you try to make the fireplace smaller. You need to get a top-notch sweep or installer out there to look at everything.

In general, one of two things.

1. Remove EVERYTHING - liner and insert, clean chimney, inspect chimney and line with a bigger (square or rectangular) liner which is big enough to vent the open fireplace. You might get lucky and find that the existing chimney is OK after you remove liner, which would save a lot of money.

2. It might be possible to use the existing liner, but you would have to somehow make the fireplace smaller. There are some units designed for this, such as:
http://www.bellfiresusa.com/fireplaces/model_BR.htm

A picture of your existing setup might help - both with doors open and doors closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.