help wanted for figuring out adapter for current chimney connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philsbmw

Feb 5, 2014
st johns, mi
hello,

my wife and i moved into this house a couple of years ago and when i saw the corner brick hearth, my heart was pumpin for a wood stove immediately! it did not come with a wood stove, so i am in the process of figuring out how to connect the currently-installed chimney thimble wall-through to the stove pipe. i have added a pic of what i am dealing with here. i will be getting a 6-inch wood stove and the id of the pipe sticking out of the bricks that you see is roughly 5 13-15/16 (different measurements going east west/north south)

So my question would be what would be the best way to connect stove pipe to that existing pipe inside the bricks. if more pics/angles are needed i will be more than happy to add.

thank you for looking!!

phil

Attachments

• 0211121051.jpg
    0211121051.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 185
That pipe end is crimped. A piece of 6" stove pipe will go right over that.

Whats the condition of the chimney? Very well may need a liner. The chimney is probably over sized anyway for a 6" stove.

Last edited:
Agreed. Find out the ID of the chimney first. That is an 8" crock with a 6" pipe stuck in it.

the chimney is masonry with a clay liner going all the way up to the top. another thing i forgot to mention was that im going to need to convert it it to double wall as it comes in the house as there is a mantle just a few inches above where the pipe would be. so i do have a single to double wall converter pipe which i tried to connect but the single wall end is crimped as well so i am thinking i dont want a crimped on crimped connection correct? i have been trying to add more pics to show but everytime i do it says there was an error. mabe theres a size limit to the pics?

anyways, thanks for the responses and if there anymore ideas out there that would be great!!

thanks again

Crimped end is always down. But definitely look into lining the flu with a steel liner. If not have the current tile liner inspected and jump thru any hoops your insurance company requests.

What does your double wall to single wall adapter look like? Is it possibly for class A pipe and thats what is causing the crimp end needing to go towards the pipe currently in place? If that is the case you do not want that adapter.

here are a couple of pics of the single-to-double wall adapter i was going to use at somepoint in the piping, so i wasnt necessarily going to use it to adapt the pipe in the bricks to double wall stove pipe but just trying my options out i guess. its a ventis adapter.

Attachments

• 0206141828.jpg
    0206141828.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 0206141828a.jpg
    0206141828a.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 123
Notice the arrow on the sticker. That is indicating the flow direction of the smoke. The crimped end on the adapter should slide into the double wall pipe. I am not even sure if you need that adapter. Maybe others hear will know better. It seems like you could just take normal double wall stove pipe and slide it over that crimped pipe coming out of the wall.

correct, i was initially, and still want to, use that adapter for converting the single wall flue that is on top of the wood stove into double wall pipe if that makes sense. i may just have to get a double wall pipe and see if it will just fit over that brick pipe that you suggested. i will be very excited once i finally do find a way to make it work, and im thinking it should be easier than im making it. thanks again to all for checking this thread out and ill always accept more thoughts on this topic.

Or is that the adapter made to sit on top of the wood stove collar to transition to the double wall pipe? There is an adapter like that, just not sure if this is it. I know it is similar if its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.