Help, Who Do I Believe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2008
CNY
I had Lopi Liberty installed 2 years ago. I didn't get a full burn season the first year so I didn't have it cleaned until this year. I hired a company who did not do the install to do the cleaning. They claimed that the original installer assembled the elbow joint (that is behind our existing chimney wall )out of 2 or 3 parts and there is a 1/4 inch gap on one side where the pieces don’t come together properly and it should be stainless steel.
I called the original installer who became upset with me for using a "chimney sweeper" to clean the stove. He claimed that they screw things up all the time and he was sure that they did something. I told them regardless who or what did it, they need to come out to look. The guy that came over was not anyone who worked on it. He claimed that the pipe split and it was a manufacture defect. I got call today, 2 weeks later, saying manufacture will not cover and they are sure that the "chimney sweeper" put too much pressure on it and split it. He said they have a new stainless steel elbow in for me that I will have to pay for.
Who do I believe? I physically climbed on top of the stove and could see the gap. It did seem like a gap as if you tried to put a top on a bottle crooked...didn't seem like a split to me. It was also black in color Would the stainless steel elbow still be stainless steel in color after being fired 24/7 last year or would it be blackened? Could you really split this cleaning the chimney with a brush?
I certainly don't want these guys to treat me like a stupid woman and try to make me pay for their mistake. Please educate me on this!

I use stainless all the time and have for at least twenty years and have never once had a seam come apart on me, I have had chimney shipped to me that had splits but I always have sent that back , I think it it very telling that your installer attacked the chimney sweep without coming over to see the problem first , from I have read I would say your chimney sweep is innocent and your installer is suspect .What brand are the elbows ? re they class A?It is not reasonable that this chimney has a split at this age without it having been exposed to some pretty brutal treatment and brushes simply don't put that kind of pressure on an elbow , I think your installers feelings are more about being found out then anything to do with your chimney sweep.

do you have your original receipt for the installation? it should, at least hopefully, list all the associated pieces of pipe you payed for and their particular build quality. Its not exactly "easy" to split pipe with a brush (be that pipe stainless or not). Though It would be easier with single wall pipe. Could you take some pics and post them? I'm willing to be someone here has seen what you've got and can chime in.

Looking at the invoice it reads: SNAP LOCK 24G stovepipe 6" elbow which I believe is the black pipe elbow that is here in the house because it it cost is listed $8.99.
There is a 14inch slip connector $25.56
25 ft VENTINOX oval wrapped liner with 6" round VENTINOX cap and top plate $969.56
18848 VENTINOX Copperfield oval tee w/ 6" round take off $87.74
I am not sure if these would include the stainless steel elbow.......doesn't seem like it.

hmm, I am not familiar with the Ventinox Copperfield line. Its "possible" that the "T" has a removable "snout" and that intersection is split. Seems like a classic case of "wasn't me". Can anbody here confirm wether or not that "T" is welded together or removable snout, SS or not?

That doesn't really sound like a class A pipe it sounds like a liner install and possible a T in the fire box , if that is the case it should just brush down to the T in the firebox,the black pipe sounds simple enough , I personally don't use snap lock but I know that a lot of people do with good results.Can you describe this install? It sound's like a liner going into a masonry chimney , if that is the case is it hooked up through a fireplace? Pics can get you a clear answer if you have any , most flex liners are a single piece item that can then be connected to a T either inside the chimney or inside the old fireplace , if that's the case then there are really just two possibilities , one the liner was probably not connected correctly and when the chimney sweep ran his brush down it may have have come loose ,but that would only happen if the T were not properly connected, second possibility is manufacturing issues ,I also do not buy from Copperfield but I know of no real problems with their products, since they don't actually make any of the things they sell it is unlikely they would help , that leaves you contacting the manufacturer yourself , that normally doesn't work out to well , it may be you best choice is simply to hire someone to fix it and put it behind you.

Is there any possibility of posting some pictures of the problem? It would be good to actually see the issue and to be sure there aren't more problems.

Regardless of who is at fault, they probably will not help you. So you must fix it or hire someone to fix it right away. Yes, pictures will help.

Got a picture. The gap is on right hand side. As you can see it is not one piece like they said but a couple of pieces. This is looking through the thimble that is chiseled out of the existing brick chimney. The back or the picture is where it connects to the vertical piece. It doesn't look like it split to me, but rather it wasn't put together properly. Can you tell ? Can anyone tell if this is stainless steel or not?
They are coming tomorrow am and I want to be prepared. Thank you.

Attachments

• stove gap.jpg
    stove gap.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 225
Status
Not open for further replies.