Help wiring a blower, heat switch, and rheostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsearcey

Oct 7, 2009
Central VA
Anybody out there wired a blower with a heat switch and the connected everything to a rheostat? I know it can be done, and it is probably pretty simple, but when it comes to electricity and wiring I'm lost. If someone has done this can I get some step by step instructions? Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you mean by rheostat as most motors need a special speed control, not a simple rheostat dimmer. Assuming you have verified that your speed control is matched to the motor, wiring it in is easy.

From the panel you will have a hot (black), a neutral (white), and a ground (green or bare). The white and the green are connected all the way through. There are several options: you can run the power to the heat switch, to the blower, or to the speed control. Either way, the black gets intercepted at all points in series. If the power is not fed first to the switch, it will bridge the power between the black and the white.

Rather than confuse you with all possible permutations, start off by describing where the power will be fed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.