Help with a Breckwell Big E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KS_Jayhawk

Oct 24, 2014
Lawrence, KS
First time post so go easy on me.

I purchased a used Big E pellet stove (I know buyer beware). Tested it our before buying and everything appeared to be working.

I installed the stove in my shop. Worked great. I decided that I wanted to use a wall mounted thermstat, so i purchased a cheap "simple" old school thermostat, ran the wires through the wall, across the attic and down the wall to the stove. I set the thermostat to the coolest temp (50 degrees) it was about 70 degrees in my shop. I restored power to the stove. The stove kicked on and started to drop pellets and kicking out heat. I thought this was odd. I walked over to the stove and pressed the "on/off" button on the side of the stove and the stove turned off (yes it kept burning and blowing until the stove cooled off). I then adjusted the Tstat to a warmer temp. and the stove kicked on. GREAT. I let it run a while and then slid the Tstat to the coolest temp but the stove kept dropping pellets and burning. BAD. The only way to turn it off was to press the "on/off" button on the side of the stove.

I purchased a different Tstat. This one is a Honeywell digital non programmable...blaa blaa blaaa. SAME RESULT.

I called Breckwell. I was told that because my Tstat wires were longer than 10 feet I had to use 14 ga wire as opposed to the 18ga. I then cut a piece of 18 ga Tstat wire about 8 feet long and hooked the Tstat up. tested. same result as above. BAD.

I called Breckwell again. This time I was told (by a different support person) that it was likely a bad circuit board but couldnt be certain. (CRAP!!)

So now I am stuck with the options of using it without a Tstat(no ideal for my application) or buying a "non returnable" $325 part to test to see if that fixes it. I'm looking for other ideas to try and figure out what the problem is before I pull the trigger on the circuit board. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Do you have the switch set to on/off high/low or manual?

I just checked with the techs you already spoke with and it seems that it would be the board

Status
Not open for further replies.