Help with a few ?'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin M

Oct 19, 2013
Nc
Hello to all. I am living in my grandpas old house and using his old wood stove for primary soure of heat from now on. I have a question , do all or some stoves not have firebrick? Mine does not, although it has shelves shelves halfway up both sides, though badly bent.

Since I am new to burning wood constantly I need my stove to be in top producing shape.

Should/could I add firebrick to be more benificial? And does anyone know what kind of stove this is? Looks like a big bear knock off perhaps.

Thank you to those who help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 194
I gave the pic a little turn for you. Dunno about the make. It sure looks like a home grown version to me. The air drafts are made from what appears to be 3" cast pipe caps. Could you snap some pics of inside?
image.jpg

I am also going to slip this over to the classic form. The stove is a few steps away from EPA compliant.

I am almost positive that the unit in your pics is a homegrown variety. There were many years in the 70's and 80' that every metal fab shop in the country was pushing out a few custom units to employees and friends. That being said - it is really hard to tell if that had firebrick or not. There are also a few other implications if my guess holds true.
Many locals won't allow pre-epa stoves to be installed or not allow the use if the home has been sold. Insurance companies can also have rules against them...and, without testing and a manual you MUST comply with the 36" rule for clearance to combustibles. Make sure you get all your ducks in a row if you plan on using that stove.

By the way - that thing looks like it was built from spare battleship parts.:eek:

Well the house isn't going anywhere it's inherited.
I want to add firebricks that's my next step . It's a good stove and heats the house to a point if I leave the basement door cracked to upstairs .

The same "could" hold true if the house changes hands, but not all jurisdictions play by the same rules. Insurance companies can get finicky about stuff like that. Especially when you need them the most - after an accident.

It looks like at one time that stove may have had firebricks lining it. The holders look banged up now but might be able to be straightened out. It also looks like at one point it may have had a baffle. By firebrick lining and adding a baffle you should be able to improve it's performance a bit and burn cleaner. Add a secondary air tube and it might surprise you.

PS: hold the phone horizontally and the pictures won't be sideways.

Reactions: Heatsource
It looks like at one time that stove may have had firebricks lining it. The holders look banged up now but might be able to be straightened out. It also looks like at one point it may have had a baffle. By firebrick lining and adding a baffle you should be able to improve it's performance a bit and burn cleaner. Add a secondary air tube and it might surprise you.

PS: hold the phone horizontally and the pictures won't be sideways.

What do you mean by a baffle? You mean in the stove, so choke the draft back? There is a damper on my flu pipe as well. I havent really messed with it, as im more accustomed to oil furnaces, and i know how they affect them.
I think it may have had bricks as well, the holders looked like they were hammered in..Im gonna mess with it and see if i can straighten them and get some bricks.

A baffle is a "shelf" above the fire. Located between the fire and the flue. Usually designed to hold higher heat for the fire and cause a turn in the smoke trying to get out. It gives the smoke more time to burn more completely before it exits.

Oh. Yes it has a shelf above the fire.
I beat the frames back up so i could measure the size fire bricks needed .
And took a wire brush to it and cleaned it best I could.
I'm gonna inquire on a local sweeper today.

Oh. Yes it has a shelf above the fire.
I beat the frames back up so i could measure the size fire bricks needed .
And took a wire brush to it and cleaned it best I could.
I'm gonna inquire on a local sweeper today.
Standard firebricks are 9" x 4.5" x 1.25". If you measure 10.5 or 11" from the floor to the top of the holder it probably means that the side bricks sit on top of a floor of firebrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.