Help with a Fire Flame bighorn model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighter1137

Mar 25, 2014
erie, pa
Hello, new to the forum so dont bite my head off if im writing this in the wrong place. To start with, i just installed a fire flame stove a week ago. First few start ups were stopped before a long burn due to smoke leaks and adjustments to the venting. My setup is basic, its a direct pipe outside with a 45 deg angled down/left. Im sure ill get yelled at for that, a fix i plan to change but for now it is that way. I also havnt installed a fresh air intake yet for i need to make another hole in the house when it stops snowing and i get the tools. So right now its sucking air from the house.

After several burns using 3 ~40 lb premium grade wood pellets with no problems, we started to noticed on start up basically filling the fire pit with heavy amounts of smoke. outside i couldnt see my garage 20 ft away. When it finally lite, it was basically a small flashover or mini explosion. Seemed like it had no oxygen and boom.. backdraft. Meanwhile smoke entered through any open vent and finally released outside and then it ran perfectly.

Last night i tried to lite a fire and i received smoke entering the house near the glass door, however there was no fire ignited. I took the burn pot out to find it hardly warm, i handled it barehand. No pellets looked torched. Well the wife said let it run, maybe when i cleaned it i got ash into the vents might blow out. Okay! Soo i fired it up after cleaning it again, it started a fire but wouldnt feed pellets and it was a small flame.

Now after all that said ill explain what i did and checked for i havnt unbolted anything, but i did clean the pot, ash tray and fire pit. I have only burned 5 ~ 40 lb bags of premium grade pellets. I checked my blower motor which appeared to spin. It feeds pellets. Im clueless for the manuel seems like my 8yr old daughter wrote it. The manufacter hasnt responded yet.

Any ideas or questions im open to suggestions. If no one knows my model you can google fire flame stoves. I have the big horn model.

I can add photos if that helps . Thanks for reading.

Unfortunately, since you have neither a vertical rise or fresh air intake, you may get some smoke back up. My suggestion until you remedy that in the spring/summer would be to manually like the pellets with a torch to skip the smoke bomb process.

Light a pile until just before ignition and close the door. The combustion should do the rest.

I am assuming once the stove is properly lit, you have no issues?

I replied earlier but it doesnt show. My problem became worse as its fuses keep blowing. Shows an digital error which relates to a temperature sensor 1 is an open circuit. i think i need a repair man,lol. Or to return this melon.....

New stove blowing fuses is not a thing I would comfortably be using in my home. I being comfortable with repairing these boxes of fire would tare it apart and see if there is a visable issue. If not back to where it came. These stoves need mechanical attention so taking the sides off to check out will be in order anyway after season is done.
Good luck

Take it back.If an all china stove is what your budget is,I would get the castle instead,as it seems to be a much better built unit,and at least 1 stove repair guy on this forum fixes them.

Welcome to the forum. As to the 45, might help if you just take that off if safely done (not sure what you have around it and why you terminated pipe that way...)
No manual on-line to help you with troubleshooting... Does your manual show wiring or other schematics ? Have you tried unplugging it for a while - may reset board.

Where did you buy it from? Dealer support?

You mention that the auger wasn't feeding but is it feeding now? Temperature sensor #1 - is it a snap disc or other type of sensor? Can try a temporary by-pass (jumper) to see if everything else is functioning without blowing fuse. Check wiring and board for loose wires and signs of scorching.

Checked their warranty - return only for unused stove...

Let us know how you make out.

Should be protected by consumer protection laws allowing return of bad products if in a reasonable time no matter what is said in the papers unless sold as used. Otherwise retailers would sell $#it and have no consequences as we all know trying to return a product to original importer is probably more expensive than the product itself. The lawyer said if I can remember right,"the consumer has reasonable expectation" when buying a new product.

Status
Not open for further replies.