Help with a Harman Advance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire

Feb 7, 2007
NYC
Hello All, I am a new Harman Advance owner/user. I am very satisfied with this pellet stove. I have a question about the feed setting, I know the manual says to set it at #4. I have it set at 4, but I think I am getting excessive ash. On the edge of the burn pot I can get up to 2 inches of ash where it falls to the ash box. Is this too much? I am not getting unburnt pellets into the ash box. I am using Premium pellets exclusively. I am vacuuming the stove about once a week and scraping the burn pot, I also find alot of ash caked on the top heat exchanger. I appreciate any advice, this is my first pellet stove in my first season. Thanks.

sounds typical.....the feed setting will only vary the length of time the stove will feed when calling for heat....certain pellets will have a more cohesive ash, and you will also find that certain pellets dirty the glass faster, and cake the heat exchanger faster/slower.

Good luck

Fire said:
Hello All, I am a new Harman Advance owner/user. I am very satisfied with this pellet stove. I have a question about the feed setting, I know the manual says to set it at #4. I have it set at 4, but I think I am getting excessive ash. On the edge of the burn pot I can get up to 2 inches of ash where it falls to the ash box. Is this too much? I am not getting unburnt pellets into the ash box. I am using Premium pellets exclusively. I am vacuuming the stove about once a week and scraping the burn pot, I also find alot of ash caked on the top heat exchanger. I appreciate any advice, this is my first pellet stove in my first season. Thanks.

I'm not a pellethead, but from what I've read of their problems, it may be a question of what brand of pellets you are using. Even if labeled premium there seems to be lots of differences between them, I'd suggest searching for some of those discusions for advice on preferred brands.

Good luck....

Gooserider

Fire said:

Take another look at the manual. It doesn't say to set it at #4, it says start it at #4. On page 4 of the manual, look at number 7 on the bottom left of the page. Go through this process to set your feed rate.

Of course, number 4 could be okay. Having more than 1" ash is fine. But, if you have 2 inches of ash or more at all times, the feed setting is probably low.

Pellet Patriot said:
Fire said:

Take another look at the manual. It doesn't say to set it at #4, it says start it at #4. On page 4 of the manual, look at number 7 on the bottom left of the page. Go through this process to set your feed rate.

Of course, number 4 could be okay. Having more than 1" ash is fine. But, if you have 2 inches of ash or more at all times, the feed setting is probably low.
Ok I have the advance too and right now the flames are about as high as the flame guide about 3".... The ash is 2+" in the burn pot........ What does this tell you? It's not calling for heat or at least it's maintaining the heat.
It's Normal to have more than an inch of ash on the front of the burnpot depending on the demand placed on it. What do you have the temp set at?
Is it reaching this temp?
Is it maintaining this temp?
If yes then you are good to go.....
I run my feed at 4 normaly........ This week I'm at 3 1/2.....
As a side note just because the bag say's premium the ash content and density between brands can vary.
What kind of pellets are you using?

Yes the stove is running fine. It reaches the desired temp and maintains it well. I am using Dry Creek premium pellets, I recently purchased Presto Log premium pellet fuel from Lowes that I will be using also. Thanks for all the info, I thought that I may have the stove at the wrong feed setting because of the amount of ash. I will continue to clean out once a week. Any advice on how to keep the glass smoke stain free?

First post a picture in the picture forum we like to see pics..
Second you should be good with those pellets, but just a heads up before buying a ton of pellets that you have never tried, buy and burn at least 3 bags and see how they perform.
Third you clean alot more than me and I thought I cleaned too often, I pull all covers and scrape and clean everything including the exhaust pipe about every
25-40 bags, that is the thorough cleaning, I tend to scrape the clinkers out of the burnpot every day after work.
Last the glass......... It won't happen you will get maybe a week before the left bay gets smoked then the center pane will start, it just happens.
As far as cleaning it I found that Cerama Brite works great..... And now even better they have Cerama Brite wipes I use them about every 2 weeks to take the scunge off the glass but let the stove cool down before using them..
Good luck and let us know if you need more advice... :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.