Help with a Shrill Squeaking Noise (Harman P43)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nored

Sep 4, 2008
Maine
I have a Harman p43 and last night it began to make this very shrill, squeaking noise when the auger was running, peaking just after the pellets are dropped into the burn pot. It is very grating like nails on a chalkboard and I can't deal with it, especially since it is in the main room of the house!! Any ideas? I have recently done a full cleaning (2 days ago).

Sounds like it needs some lube?

Some of the members here are suggesting using graphite. Mix some in the hopper and see if it helps.

Searce the forum, I think wet1 has better details about it.

jay

I have a Harmon XXV that did the same thing a couple years ago. We found a rust spot on the auger that create the sound everytime the auger turned. The tolerance is so close that the small spot of rust made contact with the area around the auger and created the squelling noise. Physically check the auger first and change if you can't remove the rust. Good luck.

Yep, sounds like the auger contacting the tube......PDK( could be right, look for a rust spot, but since Im guessing the stove has been running all winter and no rust would form there, I think it more likely youve got a carbon buildup at the end of the auger, throwing the auger into a slight bind against the tube.......let the fire go out, COMPLETELY clean the burn pot until its smooth tot he touch (no residue), and then sheck the auger tube for more. Could be a sleeve bearing too, but Im thinking 98% auger buildup.

I had that sound but only around when I heard pellets drop. The auger would drive but no squeak until when the pellets would drop. I emptied and vacuumed the pellets and fines from the hopper, and the top of the slide plate as far in as I could get the vac. Even put the FEED ADJUST in TEST and vacuumed the top of the slide plate as it cycled. And was verrrrrry careful to stay clear of the slide plate while it was moving :ahhh:

This fixed my squeak 2 times. Has not happened in quite a while. now.

Hi everyone:

Thanks for all the advice.

I have cleaned the burnpot completely and the end of the auger, but still there. In fact, the noise does sound like its coming from the back, not the front. Since I've already taken all the pellets out, I'll try the vacuum suggestion and see what happens.

does it happen as long as the auger is turning, or only when the auger gets to a certain point in its rotation?

Lousyweather said:
does it happen as long as the auger is turning, or only when the auger gets to a certain point in its rotation?

Vacuum trick did not work. :-(

It is pretty much the whole time the auger is turning with varying degrees of pitch to the sound.

gear motor's bad, or slide plates contacting the edge....if it never ends, its the gear motor...if it stops and starts...something else

Lousyweather said:
gear motor's bad, or slide plates contacting the edge....if it never ends, its the gear motor...if it stops and starts...something else

Gear motor, huh? Is that unusual on a stove just bought in September?

Status
Not open for further replies.