Help with a water leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mlord

Mar 9, 2024
New England
Any advice appreciated. We recently had a wood stove installed. Have been away for a few weeks. Came up and there is rust and water stains on the top of the wood stove. Picture attached. Seems like water has come through from inside the pipe. No visible water stains on outside of stovepipe. It terminates into a cathedral ceiling box and then goes through the roof. It is all double wall. Any thoughts on where the leak is? Seems like maybe it’s just coming in through the top cap? I climbed up to the ceiling box and no visible signs of water there. Wondering if I should call the roofers or maybe it’s just from heavy rain and winds we just had. Sad seeing a rusty top on a brand new stove.
IMG_3208.jpeg IMG_3209.jpeg IMG_3210.jpeg

That is a bummer, but fortunate that it has been caught early. It looks like the problem is with the bogus baggy flashing. I'm not sure where that idea came up, but it is wrong. This is what a proper metal roof flashing looks like.
excel metal roof flashing ICC.jpg

This is another acceptable brand's solution.
metal roof flashing.png

After this is fixed, the stovetop should be repainted with a good, satin black stove paint like Forest Products Stove Brite or what the stove mfg. uses originally.

That is a bummer, but fortunate that it has been caught early. It looks like the problem is with the bogus baggy flashing. I'm not sure where that idea came up, but it is wrong. This is what a proper metal roof flashing looks like.
View attachment 325617

This is another acceptable brand's solution.
View attachment 325618

After this is fixed, the stovetop should be repainted with a good, satin black stove paint like Forest Products Stove Brite or what the stove mfg. uses originally.
Yeah. It was the “metal roof” boot from the stovepipe company. What I don’t really understand though is that if it’s leaking there why is nothing on the outside of the pipe wet? No visible water on outside of pipe. No wet plywood around the roof box and no water dripping out of the ceiling box. The water has come from inside the double wall holes.

I'd say the water is getting inside the cathedral adapter box and leaking out of it, getting in through the flashing boot or whatever that is.
Is that telescopic DW pipe from the stove up? Hard to tell by the pics as it looked like the pipe had the female ends down.

Reactions: begreen
I'd say the water is getting inside the cathedral adapter box and leaking out of it, getting in through the flashing boot or whatever that is.
Is that telescopic DW pipe from the stove up? Hard to tell by the pics as it looked like the pipe had the female ends down.
Sadly that is what I was thinking. Was hoping someone would say it was the cap or something. The first section of pipe is the telescopic pipe and the rest is 4’ pieces. Installed correctly as I just double checked the instructions. You had me nervous there…

Wow, that qualifies as the worst chimney flashing job that I've seen! !!!
If the installer cared, they'd be ashamed of themselves...but someone that does something like that, probably doesn't care...

Reactions: Mlord
I would get them back out to redo that rubber boot. It looks like a jumbled mess. That can not be installed right.

Last edited:
Sadly that is what I was thinking. Was hoping someone would say it was the cap or something. The first section of pipe is the telescopic pipe and the rest is 4’ pieces. Installed correctly as I just double checked the instructions. You had me nervous there…
As long as it's male end down, it prevents water and creosote from leaking out of the sections of pipe.

That is my suspicion too. Is that double-wall stove pipe?

It’s possible it could be coming in at the cap and running down the slope to the hole that was cut in for the chimney.

I’ve also told them that we should do a different flashing.
This could be a challenge now. Most of the soft rubber flashings need an ungodly number of holes drilled for screws to hold it down. Check measurements to see that the new flashing completely covers those holes. The metal roof flashings that were shown earlier are by Excel and Ventis.

people I know use Black Jack roofing sealer. Not sure what its really called.

people I know use Black Jack roofing sealer. Not sure what its really called.
That's even a worse shortcut than the crappy rubber boot. And makes actually fixing it later much harder and more expensive

I just meant to fill in the holes, then flash over it.