Help with baffle plate rumble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdidona

Oct 31, 2010
Danbury, CT
I have a Quadra Fire Santa Fe, hooked up to a programmable thermostat. When the stove turns on in the morning to warm the house, it runs really well, has a nice, small, quick flame, and seems to be perfect. The problem I am having is when I reach my desired temperature, the thermostat will obviously turn the heat on and off very frequently to maintain that temperature, usually every few minutes. With the stove turning off and on so often, the pellets are never given the chance to fully burn from the pot, and I end up with a huge flame, which rattles the baffle plate. After the new pellets burn off, it's a non-issue, usually takes about 1 minute, but this repeats over and over. Does anyone have any recommendations to fix this, I was thinking about lowering the feed rate, not sure if that would help. I'd really like to fix this, as it is extremely loud, and creates unneccesary ash and black color on my glass. Please let me know if you think I'm doing something wrong, or have any suggestions to fix. Thank you.

Some have used the swing feature on there thermostat to allow more time between the stopping and starting of the stove. This will extend the time between when the stat shuts down the stove and then calls for heat again. It should work. Does your thermostat have a swing feature?

j-takeman said:
Some have used the swing feature on there thermostat to allow more time between the stopping and starting of the stove. This will extend the time between when the stat shuts down the stove and then calls for heat again. It should work. Does your thermostat have a swing feature?

It does not unfortunately, I tried lowering the feed rate to see if that helps. Anyone else have any ideas or changes I can make?

Didn't notice programmable at first Reading.

I have a Quad Mount Vernon AE -- I experienced two issues, one which was a loud noise like blowing air over a bottle which was resolved by centering the baffle (after I cleaned it, the baffle was closer to one side when I slid it back in, creating a space on the opposite side larger than usual). The other vibration I got was during the start up. The Mount Vernon's sides are panels that you can "unhook" and pull away from the stove, and they continually would shake. I found some "spongy" material and inserted it around the latch area, and 90% of the noise is gone during the start up.

Not sure if this helps, but thought I would throw it out there... you problem sounds different from mine.

What setting are you running the stove on? Rather than high off and on all the time, maybe try med or low with it on more and off less? Is it a new stove? Is it more of a roar? On some Quads, the sucking of the air through the burn pot when really burning high start up may do this, some have said to de-burr the burn pot holes. On my Castile, it does this when really cranking starting and really clean, after some use it settles down.

tdidona said:
j-takeman said:

It does not unfortunately, I tried lowering the feed rate to see if that helps. Anyone else have any ideas or changes I can make?

Sometimes its called other things. Could you post the thermostat info?

Extending the on time by lowering the heat setting most likely will not help. You need to increase the off time of the stove. Easiest way is with swing. Let the stove run up over the set temp by a degree and stay off for a degree longer will increase the off time to asist the full burn off. If 1 degree doesn't work you could increase to 1 and 1/2 degree. If that stat doesn't might be cheaper to replace the stat with on from HD, Lowes or so on. Something like $30 for a Lux or RiteTemp that has swing. My old quad would do about the same thing without the rumble. 1 full degree of swing worked for me it allowed the stove to fully shutdown before next heat call from stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.