Help with Benjamin Boiler Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chardafoe

Jan 7, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Hello,

We have installed a Benjamin CC500 Wood/Oil Combination boiler. We are finding to be very hard on wood and oil and are wondering if anyone has any information they could share on the schematics for the hook up of the system.

Thanks,
Charlotte

I think you'll have to evaluate your specific situation. How's the combustion process, i.e average stack temp when burning with wood? Too little air and it will cresoste/soot up and too much will both end up blowing heat out the stack. Are the heat exchangers clean? The unit won't absorb heat and it will go up the stack. How's the heat load? Are you asking it to do too much? Most importantly-is your wood properly seasoned? You will burn a dramatic amount more wood when it is wet. Many btu's are needed to boil out moisture from the wood not to mention it will create creosote/soot. I suspect your unit needs a good cleaning and drier wood. Try and inspect everything and get back to us.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.