Help with Chimney Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
This weekend I will attempt to install the ss class A chimney. It will be installed through my basement wall and travel 24'up the side of my house. Since the siding on my house is 2" out from the foundation I will install the wall support attached to 2" pressure treated lumber to maintain the 2" clearance. The flashing from the top of the roof protrudes another 1" out. Do I need to intall 1" pressure treated lumber along the side of my home and attach the wall bands to the lumber to maintain the 2" clearance? This would provide me with a 3" clearance along the side of the house. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, you'll need the 1" boards as spacers if your wall bands don't have any adjustment, but the spacer for the wall support will have to be 3" thick for the run to be straight up. Don't try to fudge it, or you'll end up with a difficult black pipe-to-Class A connection at the bottom! It may help to drop a plumb line over the edge of the roof flashing and measure out from that to figure the exact spacing you'll need.

It sounds like your chimney will be 2" away from the roof flashing, 3" from the house siding, and 5" from the foundation when you finish up...almost exactly what I ended up with on mine.

Good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.