Help with chimney...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punkinhead

Dec 31, 2012
Hi Folks. I'm new here and hope this is the right place for this. I recently picked up a used Fisher Baby Bear and would like to put it in a detached garage. I use it as a workshop and for storage. I don't keep any fuel or vehicles in there so fumes aren't an issue. I have a straight shot for the chimney which would penetrate a metal corrugated roof near the peak. I would only need about 3'6" of pipe above the roof for clearance. My question is what type of pipe is okay for the chimney and how far down from ceiling should I be before I switch to regular stove pipe? I have yet been able to find anything for this specific application and don't want to spend more than I have to. Thanks for the help.

You will need something to support the chimney. A ceiling support would be the easiest, but a roof support will fit under most flashings. If you go with the ceiling support box, just frame an appropriate size square that is level. The box will hang from the frame and usually needs to protrude into the room by a few inches. The transition to stove pipe will take place at the box. Whatever support that you choose will come with directions, follow them closely and you'll be fine.
Excel makes a great metal roof flashing. Here is a link, with instructions. http://www.icc-rsf.com/main.php?t=chem_produits&i=95&l=en

You would need Class A chimney pipe above the roof, make sure you use enough pipe, 3' 6" isn't very much. From that to the stove you can use just single wall black stove pipe. The class A support box will generally need to come into the room at least 2". But whatever the instructions say, it won't be much.

The problem is going to be getting a solid support for a cathedral support box. Is there decking under the corrugated metal roof or just widely spaced purloins? If conventional framing, can a solid box frame be built between the rafters to support the box? I think you will need a special soft flashing for topside, like DuraTech DSA.

I use the flashing that I mentioned above from Excel, a few times a month. It works very well, and gives the pipe good support. I don't know of any that have leaked, and believe me, we would here about it! I have replaced a few silicone ones that leak, and have seen lots of others that are leaking. I'm not sure why, but they seem to leak more often. I would go with a metal one.

Thanks everyone for the input. I was looking at Excels flashing and it seemed like it should work fairly easily. Going to do some more shopping around but I at least now have a clue as to what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.