Help with cleaning chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bzahn

Nov 20, 2011
Missouri
I cleaned my flue for the first time this weekend and it was mostly successful. I say mostly, because afterwards, when I started a fire in the fireplace insert (a Lennox Performer C210), it started smoking up everything. So...I have apparently not cleaned it quite as well as I thought. I think that not all of the creosote fell into the firebox and has remained somewhere in the system. I have a 6" SS flue liner that was installed along with the insert. What do I still need to do to finish this project off?

OK. As a newbie to this, I have to ask whether this is something I need to pull the insert out to do, or can I get to it from inside the box? If I can get to it from the inside, I think I'm going to have to dissemble something (bricks and air supply thingy) to get up in there.

You probably will have to slightly disassemble your baffle system to do it, but you should be able to do it from inside the firebox. Be careful, I think you have ceramic blankets on top of your baffle and they can be a bit fragile. Remove or drop your baffle and see if something is stuck up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.