Help with Craftsman 27 Ton Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
I recently bought a used Craftsman 27 ton log splitter off craigslist, which I gather is the same as the MTD version. Used it for a few hours to bust up a pile of uglies that has been accumulating over the past few years. Just this morning the hose from the pump to the valve popped off while splitting a nasty piece of hickory.

The hose is intact and it looks like the threads on the aluminum pump housing are stripped, but hard to tell how bad. What are my options here? Put it back together, really torque it down and hope for the best? Re-tap to the next largest size? Buy a new pump?

FullSizeRender.jpg

New hydraulic pumps can be had pretty cheap. If it was me, I would just buy a new one and save myself the headache.

Good luck.

Buy a new pump as a spare, keep the old and really torque it down and hope for the best, if the best doesn't happen, change out your pump.

This pump is 8 gpm which explains the absurdly slow cycle time. I wouldn't mind upgrading. It has a 6.5 hp B&S motor on it... can I get away with an 11 or 13 gpm pump to speed things up a bit?

I would go with the 13gpm. You can always adjust the relief on it.

Personally, I would replace with the 13gpm pump. Me...I don't like playing with hot hydro juice spurting everywhere.

Try your local machine shop. They may be able to drill & tap it the next size up for you.

My little local guy does impressive stuff. My work (trash to energy power plant) is now using him for hydraulic & air piston rebuilds, custom made valve stems for some problematic automatic control valves, and special pivot pins for our 5 tine trash grapples that have improved grease ports in them. Great guy, great prices, awesome turn around time.

I think it will be cheaper to buy a new pump. Surpluscenter.com has them very reasonable.

13 gpm pump is on its way. Same shaft and keyway size so hopefully should match up okay. Any watch-outs when replacing, or just remove the old and install the new? Keep things clean I'm sure, but anything else?

As you bolt the new pump up to the adapter make darn sure that your lovejoy connections are dead on centered. I take a hose clamp to the two lovejoy sections before I make the final tweak to the bolts holding the pump.

Kinda like this but with a hose clamp. Remove when done.
lovejoy-coupling-500x500-jpg.132103.jpeg

Splitter is back up and running. Definitely faster with the new pump, that is nice.

Just as I start getting into a tough piece the motor almost stalls for a second... do I need to maybe adjust when it kicks over to the second stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.