Help with figuring out poor drafting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cuylerzimm

Nov 1, 2023
California
Hello, first time here and I'm hoping someone can help me with my issue.

We have "The Garrison Two" wood stove I will post pictures so you get an idea of how it is setup (please excuse all of the random stuff everywhere lol we haven't used it in a while so its accumulated trinkets). but there is a small pipe going from the back of the stove to the chimney and it seems to be mortared in. The metal pipe goes directly to the brick and mortar chimney, there is no metal pipe inside the chimney. When we have a fire in it my girlfriend complains that her eyes, nose, and throat start hurting and coughing and it is a little smokey in the house, I mean very little smoke I can see.

I don't think it has really been used all that much in a very long time so my first step is going to be cleaning the chimney and see if that helps. But, does anyone see a problem with the way it is setup? Also, if anyone knows how to setup a cold air intake on this stove that would be amazing so we are not pulling cold air into the house. Also, what are the two circular parts on the sides with the bolt and nut for in the 3rd picture? Any help is appreciated, apologies for my ignorance on wood stoves as I do not know very much.

IMG_1103.png IMG_1105.png IMG_1108.png IMG_1109.png

Has the chimney been cleaned? Does it have a clay tile lining? If so, what is the ID of the chimney tile?

Has the chimney been cleaned? Does it have a clay tile lining? If so, what is the ID of the chimney tile?
Chimney has not been cleaned in a long time I'm guessing. it does not have a lining it just looks like mortar. I will get a picture. the ID of the chimney isn't square haha its about 9" x 9 3/4"

The stove is going from a 6" stove pipe (28 sq in) into a roughly 85 sq in chimney and my guess is that the outdoor temps are quite mild. Add the horizontal exit pipe of 12+". That's a formula for a weak draft. At 40º outside, it would work better but the chimney should have a 6" stainless liner in it connected directly to the stove.

The stove is going from a 6" stove pipe (28 sq in) into a roughly 85 sq in chimney and my guess is that the outdoor temps are quite mild. Add the horizontal exit pipe of 12+". That's a formula for a weak draft. At 40º outside, it would work better but the chimney should have a 6" stainless liner in it connected directly to the stove.
thank you for the reply, I was thinking the exact same thing. It looks like whoever installed this just kinda winged it. Do you think sweeping the chimney would help at all? or not worth it?

The chimney doesn't look plugged, though the horizontal section might have some accumulation.

The chimney doesn't look plugged, though the horizontal section might have some accumulation.
Ya, unfortunately I don't think there is any way to get to the horizontal section. is there a way to access it from the inside of the stove? it looks like there is a metal flap that is welded to the stove.

You should pull the stove out, remove the connector pipe and inspect the chimney connection. Many stoves of this era were put in by simply bricking over the fireplace and dumping the smoke into the closed off fireplace without a proper flue connection. This has the strong potential to create a creosote bomb in the bottom of the chimney.

You should pull the stove out, remove the connector pipe and inspect the chimney connection. Many stoves of this era were put in by simply bricking over the fireplace and dumping the smoke into the closed off fireplace without a proper flue connection. This has the strong potential to create a creosote bomb in the bottom of the chimney.
Yes, I agree thanks. I think there is already a creosote bomb in the bottom of the chimney hahaha. I am going to try and stick my shop vac down the chimney and see if I can get any of it out.

what is the best way to go from the stove to a new 6 inch tube inside the chimney? it looks like I may only be able to connect it with that horizontal pice and then a 90 degree sweep? will that work?

what is the best way to go from the stove to a new 6 inch tube inside the chimney? it looks like I may only be able to connect it with that horizontal pice and then a 90 degree sweep? will that work?
If you drop a flexible liner down from the top they make a special tee fitting with a removable snout. You stick the snout in through the thimble and then drop down the liner with the vertical piece on the bottom and tighten the clamp to connect them.

1698865515064.png