Help with fireplace identification, newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kygrizzly

Sep 11, 2014
Kentucky
hello to all, newbie here in ky so get ready for a stupid question. Can anyone tell me what kind of fireplace this is, wood or coal? I bought this home last year and is equipped with two fireplaces. After last winter with $500 electricity bills with a heat pump I was wanting to go with some kind of wood heat. I am completely ignorant though about wood stoves and very few places close buy that I can go and look. The measurement of this fireplace are 19" wide by 28" tall. 18" deep but the back slants forward to a small narrow opening. I'm pretty sure it is a coal fireplace, but not sure. Also the outside of the house has an old coal chute door, lol. Yes insert dumb name for me at will but just want to make sure from someone more experienced than I. Also what are my options. I'm going to try to upload pics of both fireplaces. Sorry for the questions if they are in the wrong place and thank you in advanced for your time. Really am lost as to what route to take.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That works. Is that carpet right up against the fireplace opening?

Lol. Yes. There was actual carpet in it that I ripped. The carpet you see is a throw rug just to cover up the mess until I figure out what I need there. I'm guessing a rear vented stove.

In both pictures it looks like these are masonry fireplaces.

Yes they are. The first "white" I'm thinking was a coal fireplace. It also has 2small doors at the bottom I'm assuming are for ashes. The second , the hearth is made out of geode.

For the first one you will be hard-pressed to find an insert that is less than 19" wide. I guess your only option may be to put a rear-vented hearth stove in front of it. With an opening height of 28" the Woodstock stoves with the short leg option may be your best bet although it looks like the actual floor is a bit lower, by how much? What material is the floor made off in front of the fireplace?

What are the dimensions of the second fireplace? How big is your house? How well insulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.