Help with floor plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat66

Sep 19, 2016
Arkansas
Hi,
I am new as a poster but have been a guest fo a while. Also new to wood stoves. We live in a fairly mild climate. South of Ozark in the hills of Arkansas. We have a lot of big Easter Red Cedar some Oak, Hickory and other trees. Wood supply should not be a problem. My question is how to best get the heat distributed and would super 27 be too big.
The building is 30x50 with 10 foot porches on north and south side. The living area is only 30x30 so 900 spuare feet with 10 foot ceiling. The actual room for the stove is 20x20. Bedroom doors open onto living area with open transoms to allow for better air flow. Hallway goes to kitchen past the bath and laundry.
The stove will be free standing with chimney streight up through the roof. Building has blown in foam insulation, concrete floor not insulated will have bamboo with electric floor heat eventually as we can get to it. However ther is extra airflow fro the dog's flap doors, one in the living room to go out back and one in the kitchen to ho out front.

My husband and i are diy in every way. I would like to cook on the stove, we love good stews and chilli.
We have only 1 dealer in this area who doesn't use a wood stove himself.
We looked at the BK stoves, they are a bit pricey.
Attached is a pic of floor plan.
Thank you for any help you can give.
Cat66

Last edited:
Hi,
I am new as a poster but have been a guest fo a while. Also new to wood stoves. We live in a fairly mild climate. South of Ozark in the hills of Arkansas. We have a lot of big Easter Red Cedar some Oak, Hickory and other trees. Wood supply should not be a problem. My question is how big is too big.
The building is 30x50 with 10 foot porches on north and south side. The living area is only 30x30 so 900 spuare feet with 10 foot ceiling. The actual room for the stove is 20x20. Bedroom doors open onto living area with open transoms to allow for better air flow. Hallway goes to kitchen past the bath and laundry.
The stove will be free standing with chimney streight up through the roof. Building has blown in foam insulation, concrete floor not insulated will have bamboo with electric floor heat eventually as we can get to it. However ther is extra airflow fro the dog's flap doors, one in the living room to go out back and one in the kitchen to ho out front.

My husband and i are diy in every way. I would like to cook on the stove, we love good stews and chilli.
We have only 1 dealer in this area who doesn't use a wood stove himself.
We looked at the BK stoves, they are a bit pricey so we hope to be able to go with Super 27 or is that too much?
Thank you for any help you can give.
Cat66
I just read some about the Vista having metal problems. So i guess that leaves that one out. We would like lasting quality and the ability to cook. We are a bit older and don't want to have to start over again in a year or two.

A BK Sirocco or Princess or Woodstock Keystone will provide more control in mild weather burning if this is the only source of heat. Otherwise, the Super 27 is a workhorse. It will burn fine with partial loads of fuel in milder weather, and will have more reserves for the extra cold days. Tough to say how this will work out, foam in the walls is good insulation, but cold concrete floors can really suck up the heat and make one feel colder. Is this the first year since insulating or do you have prior experience heating the place without wood but with the foam insulation? If yes, what was the prior heat source and how well did it work?

Thank begreen,
The building is in the process no wall inside yet. So no never heated before. Trying to upload a pic of what we are planning to do but are open to suggestions for a better arrangement.
Sorry i changed the post a bit.
Cat66

Finally, i hope the plan shows up.
Cat66

Attachments

• barn woodstove.jpg
    barn woodstove.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 75
A BK Sirocco or Princess or Woodstock Keystone will provide more control in mild weather burning if this is the only source of heat. Otherwise, the Super 27 is a workhorse. It will burn fine with partial loads of fuel in milder weather, and will have more reserves for the extra cold days. Tough to say how this will work out, foam in the walls is good insulation, but cold concrete floors can really suck up the heat and make one feel colder. Is this the first year since insulating or do you have prior experience heating the place without wood but with the foam insulation? If yes, what was the prior heat source and how well did it work?
Begreen,
The woodstock and bk are nice but a bit out of our range. The latest vista problem with the welds and ver poor customer service is making us think twice about PE.

There are many small stoves to choose from. If you want a budget stove in this size range look at the Englander 13NC. It needs a well insulated hearth, but if you have cement floors then it will be fine.

FWIW, most stove makers sell thousands of stoves a year. Problems show up with every manufacturer, even smaller companies. It's how they are dealt with that is important.

Hay Cat, always nice to a new member of "Dah Sistahood" here :)

Just some input for you ...

Love my PE. It's an insert, but at 7+ years still going strong. Some maintenance, but worth it.

Love my NC-13 .... biggest problem is the 4-6 hour burn times. If that works in your time schedule, go for it. It's an awesome heater, and well worth the investment .

Hay Cat, always nice to a new member of "Dah Sistahood" here :)

Just some input for you ...

Love my PE. It's an insert, but at 7+ years still going strong. Some maintenance, but worth it.

Love my NC-13 .... biggest problem is the 4-6 hour burn times. If that works in your time schedule, go for it. It's an awesome heater, and well worth the investment .
Thanks Dix,
Burn time is not a real problem, usually get up anyway, age you know.
Did you see my floor plan? It's pretty small 900 square feet.
Do you think the warm air will be able to get to the rooms?

Thank begreen,
The building is in the process no wall inside yet. So no never heated before. Trying to upload a pic of what we are planning to do but are open to suggestions for a better arrangement.
Sorry i changed the post a bit.
Cat66
Is there insulation under the slab? If yes, then with the foam wall insulation it may take very little to heat the place in most weather in Arkansas. If that is the case then a small woodstove will be best. Some super insulated places heat themselves with just solar gain, appliance and lighting heat. Have any heat load calculations been done?

Status
Not open for further replies.