Help with floor protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tugjm

Jul 14, 2008
NY
I am installing an Englander 30. Would flat marble 2 inches thick be suitable layed on top of my carpeted floor ? Thanks for the help.

tugjm said:
I am installing an Englander 30. Would flat marble 2 inches thick be suitable layed on top of my carpeted floor ? Thanks for the help.
How do you install marlbe on top of carpet?

Glowball Worming Bust said:
sl7vk said:
tugjm said:
GRAVITY?
I wouldn't trust gravity for any type of flooring application, let alone one on which my burning hot 300 pound stove sits on.

tugjm said:

Welcome tugjm. Carpet is combustible and not good to have under a stove. I don't know the insulative value of marble, but it is a fair thermal conductor. You should remove the carpet in the area of the hearth. Then follow the manual guidelines for the hearth. If you want to use marble, then it will need insulation and probably a backer board underneath it first:

"If the appliance is to be installed on a combustible floor or a combustible floor covering, it must be installed on a 1” thick non-combustible millboard floor protector or a durable equivalent, with a “R” factor of at least “1.5” (English units) or equivalent."

sl7vk said:
sl7vk said:
tugjm said:
GRAVITY?
I wouldn't trust gravity for any type of flooring application, let alone one on which my burning hot 300 pound stove sits on.

So what do you suppose keeps that 300 lb burning hot stove from walking away? Gravity. Most premanufactured stove pads are held in place with..... gravity. That said, I built my own hearth with steel studs and such fastened to the bare floor with screws. But only gravity keeps my 500 lb stove from sliding off and pulling free of the chimney.

Highbeam said:
sl7vk said:
sl7vk said:
tugjm said:
GRAVITY?

So what do you suppose keeps that 300 lb burning hot stove from walking away? Gravity. Most premanufactured stove pads are held in place with..... gravity. That said, I built my own hearth with steel studs and such fastened to the bare floor with screws. But only gravity keeps my 500 lb stove from sliding off and pulling free of the chimney.

Ok, so you're talking about a massive slab of marble, and not tiles butted then?

Sorry, but would morter that to a backer.....

It's 1 piece of marble 4x5 ft., so it's not going anywhere. Not sure about R value and heat transfer to floor underneath it.

What does the Englander manual require for floor protection from a combustible floor? How much does the stove weigh? What are the hearth protection requirements to the rear, the sides and in front? How are you mounting the stove, in terms of connecting it to a stovepipe/chimney? Got any pics available of the location in which the stove will be installed? Welcome to the forum! Rick

Up in my first post, R1.5. I'm wondering how much that slab of marble weighs?

The Marble Institute of America sez marble (depending on the quality/density) varies in R-value between about 0.05 and 0.07 per inch of thickness. (stone & masonry are not good insulators for heat, in fact they're pretty fair conductors). So, your 2" slab of marble is going to provide, at best, about an R-0.14, so you're going to need a good deal more insulating value underneath that. Rick

http://www.marble-institute.com/industryresources/rvalue.cfm

EDIT: And, it has very little bending strength, so if the substrate beneath isn't nice and flat and hard, when you set that stove in place, you're just gonna crack the marble into two or more pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.