Help with flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadeye

Nov 28, 2012
Hello, I am wondering if anybody can help me with this. I am going to adapt this pipe down to six inches for my new stove. The guy at the stove shop thought these pictures looked strange and has never seen a chimney like this before. I am not sure if this should all be taken out or if I can just step down to six and keep the existing chimney. The celing is vaulted. Please take a look at the pics and tell me what I am dealing with thanks.
flue3.jpg
flue2.jpg
flue3.jpg
flue2.jpg
flue3.jpgflue2.jpgflue.jpg

I am not an installer by trade but i have insatlled a few. If that is a factory chimey than ran a unit with an 8 inch outlet and you want to adapt it down to 6 inch you should be fine. Since that is vaulted, you can't have too many feet above the ceiling... IMO you are good-to-go.

Again, factory chimey, preferably Class A.

MnDave

I figured out what was going on. I just got my new Regency 3100 installed. The entire stack was all sitting on the old stove. Sixteen feet of single wall and twelve feet of 1200f double wall all supported by the stove only. I guess the ceiling box is supposed to support the upper chimney. It was not. You can see in the pic how it was sticking through. I got it taken care of by making some brackets and adding support to hold the chimney up. Then I stacked up the pipes to meet on the inside. All is working now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.