Help with Flush Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebs

Dec 22, 2006
I am installing new hardwood floors in my condo and considering putting in a Woodburning Insert (no gas in our building). I really like the look of the flush granite hearths that people install with gas fireplaces (the hearth just goes over the hardwood instead of having to use transition pieces). I'm wondering if there is anyway of achieving this same effect with a woodburning insert and still have the clearances necessary.
Thanks!

I have a flush granite hearth in my living room, with a Jøtul Kennebec wood burning insert installed. The granite is actually at floor level (1/2 inch elevation, but the granite is countersunk in the floor), not elevated above the hard wood floor. Per code, (he hears Elk smile...) the granite is laid atop the angled cement that goes into the basement and under the fireplace. No part of my granite is atop wood, or anything combustible, and the hearth meets the required clearances. My understanding is that generally, for an insert, the hearth is not laid atop the wood floor. The hearth actually gets quite warm, most of it is radiated heat coming down from the front of the insert. Plus, keep in mind that stoves are up on legs, inserts are not, so I'm not sure if something like what NY Soapstove did would work in your case.

YMMV, but that's mine...

-- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.