Help with furnace decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
Hello again everyone. I recently found a Johnson j9000 wood furnace in good shape for 300$. My dilemma is save money now or later. If I do not get this I would later purchase a drolet heatmax or other similarly epa rated add on furnace. I do like the price of this one and I find it comparable to the englander 25-3800 that every rates as a great buy. Any advice pros-cons is appreciated thanks

I was in the same boat as you and usually go the cheap route but my time is worth something so I spent the money and got the caddy over 20+years its just that much less wood I have to cut buck split and stack

Just got mine few weeks ago sits on a pallet in the basement I will let you know this time next year but the way I look At it I live in new York the heating season is 6+ months long the furnace is going 24/7 don't you at least want something new with zero issues or somthing second hand that could have some issues and don't forgot all wood units have a life span don't want to get something that is almost spent

Reactions: hobbyheater
I was also in the market for a decent wood furnace. I considered the Caddy, Yukon and Kuuma.

Anything specific to look for besides cracks damage etc. Is their any weak points to the Johnson j9000? Baffle it electronics? If this thing checks out it may be a steal at 300

Reactions: woodsmaster
Take the sheet metal off and look for cracks. If its in good shape, cant hardly go wrong for $300.00. Use it a few years and then upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.