Help With Gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I got into my Jotul C450 this afternoon. I removed the baffle to get to the flue easily enough. My door gaskets feel soft and look OK. The baffle gasket feels hardened. Manual doesn't say anything about the baffle gasket maintenance. Is it correct to assume the hardened gasket should be replaced? Jotul gaskets sold by the dealer seem overpriced. It is listed as 3/8" LD rope on the parts list. What about using a generic rope gasket? I see a few 3'8" rope gasket kits on amazon. does anyone know the difference between the 91 rope and the 96-6? I also see 90, 92, 93, 95-6. The price is less than half, but confused which one to get. Thanks
I am guessing the 90's numbers are millimeters?

• Rutland Inc 3/8"X84" Stove Gasket Rope 91
Rutland Inc Gasket Kit Rope 7'x3/8" 96-6

Last edited:
Thanks. I finally found Woodman's Parts Plus. Total gasket replacement kit, $39.00. dealer wants $26.95 for 4' of 3/8" LD rope for the baffle gasket.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/575683/products/Jotul-Universal-Gasket-Kit.html
I had to take out the face plate to get the baffle out. Another gasket in there! All the baffle gaskets are powder, the face plate gasket is crusty hard. The doors looked good, but the dollar bill test proved no resistance to pulling out. Lots of gunk behind the face plate too. Woodman's tells me the gasket kit is enough to do every gasket in the insert, and comes from Jotul. These guys are good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.