Help with Generator purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ablejoy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Looking at this portable gen to run our house when power goes out. Will this type work with the pellet stove or do I need to clean the voltage up. A link below. We want to get a transfer switch and hard wire it.
Generac GP6500 - 6500 Watt Portable Generator
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-5623/p1859.html

Thanks guys

AZ Pellet Guy said:
Looking at this portable gen to run our house when power goes out. Will this type work with the pellet stove or do I need to clean the voltage up. A link below. We want to get a transfer switch and hard wire it.
Generac GP6500 - 6500 Watt Portable Generator
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-5623/p1859.html

Thanks guys

I think it will be fine for the stove. I run my Englander through my Generac, and no issues during the last 3.5 hr. outage a few weeks ago.

The hardwired transfer switch is a GOOD idea.....makes running the genny much easier, and safer too.

False. A method of isolating your genset from the grid is a must but there are many ways to do it. A generator transfer switch is one of the most expensive and least flexible.

Look into the interlock kits. Way better.

Highbeam said:
False. A method of isolating your genset from the grid is a must but there are many ways to do it. A generator transfer switch is one of the most expensive and least flexible.

Look into the interlock kits. Way better.

Highbeam, I am not a liar and was not trying to deceive anyone. The intent of my post was to show safety issues related to generator isolation.

Differing opinions make the case for people doing their own research

AZ Pellet,

Here's a LINK to the thread on the interlock switch.

It's a nice setup and you don't have to pick what circuits you want the generator to run. You just run whatever the generator can handle. I just had mine installed last week.

I also ordered THIS device to let me know when the power came back on. I don't have neighbors that I can see.

Dave

That's a great tool for knowing when grid pwoer is back up warmncozy. I have to look for neighbor's lights.

Never called you a liar ex, just pointed out that you were wrong to say one thing must be done when that thing is only one of several possible things that must be done and an inferior method at that. I apologize for the way I said it and didn't mean to offend a local guy. I've never understood why people spend so much money to just transfer a few circuits to generator power using that gentran panel.

Are pellet stoves sensitive to the typical low quality power of the hardware store gensets? Do they make any odd noises or anything?

Wormncozy

I am going to use that interlock switch when I get my genny. I found one on the internet just have to find the price.

Thanks for the info

Going to use the interlock that wormncozy sent link to, the link no longer works. I will have it installed and inspected by the city.

Deffy; you mentioned up bought a UPS, and that fixed the problem. That was a good idea, but did you put a meter on the generator first to see if it was even putting out the right voltage. The generator will run the stove fan and auger fine, it is the computer board you need to worry about. If the generator is what they call a clean generator, made to run eletronic, like your computer and such your fine. But if not, adding the UPS, like you did, makes it clean. And if the UPS has a battery in it, it can power the stove for awhile, before you need the generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.