Help with Harman PF100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pecoragrande

Nov 22, 2008
Southern Adirondacks
As most, I am new to this. I am having issues with the furnace. Using Lignetics premium pellets, all settings are as the owners manual recommends. My current issues are carbon buildup after one day, when the unit is firing back up I am getting a "popping"? sound. It seems as though it is gasping for air, the lower door flap and air intake flap are clanging and the fire goes up and down. I tried to turn the feed rate down from 4 to about 3 but it just kept feeding pellets to the top of the burn pot. The unit is in my basement and doesn't have an outside air kit. My house is about 2500 sq.ft., 2 stories and when the furnace is running it heats the house so much better than my Propane furnace. I was told that I should only have to clean out the burn pot one a week or so but I've had to do it every day. I've only run the furnace a total of 5-6 days. Help...

What does your venting consist of?

Eric

There is about a 2 1/2' pipe straight up into a 45, then about 16-18' straight out the back wall of the house into a tee and then up about 5' which then points down at a 45 with a guard on it.

pecoragrande said:
There is about a 2 1/2' pipe straight up into a 45, then about 16-18' straight out the back wall of the house into a tee and then up about 5' which then points down at a 45 with a guard on it.

I will have to check the manual but that length of run sounds a bit much. Which combustion blower do you have? I hope that it is at least 4" diameter vent. I will get back to you.

Eric

First, wait untell the furnace is cool, then turn it off and unplug the cord!
Get on your work clothes, your gonna get dusty.
That is a long run for the vent, but within specs, just make sure it is cleaned out from top to bottom.
You may have to disassemble the pipe to properly clean, it, but it must be clean, and re-calked with Hi temp silicone when securly reassembled.
Next, remove and clean your exhaust fan then vacuum out the top area inside the pf 100.

I use a Cheetah II Ash Vacuum, it has fire resistant filters and has dustless exhaust, and small, about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. It has a steel hose and costs about $219.00
Remove the ashbin and the heat exchanger covers, shake down the handle and vacuum out the whole unit.
Carefully take out the top firebrick and vacuum the area.
Grab a trouble light or flashlight and crawl inside and look in the firepot.
In your fire pot, there are holes in the bottom, make sure they are clean or you could get "popcorn" ( semi burned pellets or large ash blasted off the burn pot)
I some times use a drill bit to ream out the holes, being carefull not to go too deep and with the power unplugged from the unit.
Dont forget to clean out the fiines clean out, under the firepot, by opening the two thumbscrews and removing the cover. This is where your ignitor is, so again with the cord unplugged, shove your finger in there and scoop it out, or use a slim hose attached to your vacuum.
Make sure that the firepot is clean, top, sides and bottom, sometimes the slag is very hard to get off especially with the hazardous tool supplied with the furnace.
I use the 4 Piece Heavy Duty Scraper Set from Harbor Freight tools 96389-1VGA for $9.99 , works great and I don't bleed!
Put it all back together and try it!

Now if you just have had the unit installed, and this is not the second or third season on the unit, there may be a defect in the pusher arm weldment, they sometimes get bent during transport or installation, call your installer and have the entire unit properly checked out.
Hope this helps

Eric,
The vent is 4", I'm not sure what size the blower is. The installer is saying something about increasing the speed of the vent fan. The system acts as if there isn't enough negative pressure in the firebox. I've already had an issue where the flap on the intake under the pellet bin stuck and filled my basement with smoke. Had to call the fire dept. to help get rid of the smoke. While they were here I opened the firebox door so they could look inside and the second I closed the bottom latch there was a large explosion. It bent the door and I had to get a new one, that was the first time I used it. Due to that experience and the troubles I have had since, I am very nervous around this furnace and would almost consider getting rid of it.

Michael

Pellet Head, thank you for your advice on the scraper. I will definitely look for the kit. The door latches also have sharp edges. The other day I was asking myself , "why am I bleeding?" I built a custom outside air kit as I couldn't find one like in the manual for sale. I am using 4" galv. to a 3" reducer. and then entering the furnace. The vent/insect screen was hobbled together. I need something to make sure the intake doesn't get clogged with snow.

If your long horizontal run is not level or slightly angled upward from the furnace to the outside, it may help the venting if you can do that. Making that minor change did improve my venting issues, along with making sure the furnace vent is completely sealed at the furnace, not just on the outside, but also on the inside, where the welding sometimes allows for leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.