HELP WITH HARMAN XXV SETTINGS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
first year with harman xxv stove.have been trying all kinds of pellet tests and stove setting tests.trying to get max heat for 2800 sqf home.1400 upstairs,1400 downstairs.keeping stove on stove temp mode and auto seems consistant.feed i have to adjust from 3-4 depending on pellets but the blower fan setting is baffling me to no end.i would think putting blower fan on highest setting(blowing out max air)would produce the most heat,but the opposite is true.if i put blower speed on lowest setting the air temperature heat coming out of the stove is 20-25 degrees hotter.i tested this with 4 pellet types.currently using turmans and with blower on high and temp setting at #7 air blowing out of stove is 338 degrees.if i turn the blower speed to lowest setting and wait about 10 minutes,air temp is 362.i am testing air temp with 2 different smoker type probe electronic thermostats.how is that possible?when blower fan is on high the stove feeds the pellets way faster,i would guess faster feeding of pellets would mean more heat but no.my first floor stays 2 degrees warmer if i leave blower fan on low.i also don't understand why the pellets feed way faster by moving the blower speed up on stove temp setting?i was told the blower only controls how fast the fan runs,but yet on high setting i go through pellets way faster(i can literaly watch the pellets move foward)i thought on stove temp mode i control the feed rate with the feed rate dial?if i don't touch the feed rate how does the blower on stove temp mode control the feed?why bother having a feed rate knob if the stove is going to control it on room temp and stove temp mode?sorry for the long post but these settings and what i am reading in the manual and online are not working as such

first year with harman xxv stove.have been trying all kinds of pellet tests and stove setting tests.trying to get max heat for 2800 sqf home.1400 upstairs,1400 downstairs.keeping stove on stove temp mode and auto seems consistant.feed i have to adjust from 3-4 depending on pellets but the blower fan setting is baffling me to no end.i would think putting blower fan on highest setting(blowing out max air)would produce the most heat,but the opposite is true.if i put blower speed on lowest setting the air temperature heat coming out of the stove is 20-25 degrees hotter.i tested this with 4 pellet types.currently using turmans and with blower on high and temp setting at #7 air blowing out of stove is 338 degrees.if i turn the blower speed to lowest setting and wait about 10 minutes,air temp is 362.i am testing air temp with 2 different smoker type probe electronic thermostats.how is that possible?when blower fan is on high the stove feeds the pellets way faster,i would guess faster feeding of pellets would mean more heat but no.my first floor stays 2 degrees warmer if i leave blower fan on low.i also don't understand why the pellets feed way faster by moving the blower speed up on stove temp setting?i was told the blower only controls how fast the fan runs,but yet on high setting i go through pellets way faster(i can literaly watch the pellets move foward)i thought on stove temp mode i control the feed rate with the feed rate dial?if i don't touch the feed rate how does the blower on stove temp mode control the feed?why bother having a feed rate knob if the stove is going to control it on room temp and stove temp mode?sorry for the long post but these settings and what i am reading in the manual and online are not working as such

Have you ever read the sticky at the top of the page?? It's full of great Harman info and you may need to read it a couple of times to absorb it all.. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-your-harman-works-what-your-manual-doesnt-tell-you.91030/

but the blower fan setting is baffling me to no end.i would think putting blower fan on highest setting(blowing out max air)would produce the most heat,but the opposite is true.if i put blower speed on lowest setting the air temperature heat coming out of the stove is 20-25 degrees hotter.i tested this with 4 pellet types.currently using turmans and with blower on high and temp setting at #7 air blowing out of stove is 338 degrees.if i turn the blower speed to lowest setting and wait about 10 minutes,air temp is 362.i am testing air temp with 2 different smoker type probe electronic thermostats.how is that possible?
The stove is pulling cool air and pushing out hot air. The air is being heated by the metal heat exchanger. with the cool air being pulled into the heat exchanger at a fast rate the metal is being cooled down faster than the flame can heat the metal and the air in the heat exchanger

The ESP regulates the temp of the stove at a certain temp. If the fan is on high it cools the stove down so more pellets are consumed to achieve the same temp. You do get more heat in the room with the fan on high as it is sending it out in the room. This is what you want to happen. Read the sticky.

thanks for the replies guys,i read the sticky about 6x.heres what i found with my stove
with temp on #7,feed #3.5 and in stove temp mode when i have the blower speed at low overnite after 7 hrs my first floor is 72 degrees
with temp on #7,feed #3.5 and in stove temp mode and blower on high speed my first floor is 68 degrees
this is with same pellets,same outside temp and all variables the same except blower speed
my 2 digital smoker thermometers also confirm the air coming out of the stove is 25 degrees hotter when the blower speed is on low opposed to high

below is a copy/paste from the sticky explaining feed rate

Feed Rates - Feed rate is controlled by the stove ESP. The stove will select a feed rate based on the actual temperature and target call for heat. The larger the temperature delta (actual room temp vs. target room temp), the greater the feed rate will be. 10 degrees would be a large delta and the stove would feed to reach max ESP temp of about 500 degrees depending on stove model. A 2 degree delta might only result in a feed rate of 20 seconds per minute even though the feed rate max dial is set to 4 (or 40 seconds per minute). The stove can vary the feed rate between 2.5 seconds per minute and the max feed rate you set. A feed rate of 6 would represent continuous feeding if the ESP wasn't seeing sufficient temperatures to satisfy the call for heat.When up to temp the stove will regulate itself form 2.5 seconds per minute of feed up to the limit you set.

Feed rates can lead to incomplete combustion comes in 2 forms:

1. Pellets spilling over the edge of the burn pot before they are reduced to ash.

2. Smoke.

Relative to #1 - when you run the stove wide open (stove temp setting at 7), the burning pellets should come no closer than 1 inch from the edge of the burn pot. You should have burning pellets and about 1" of ash before the edge. If pellets are bulging and close to the edge, you might not turn them to ash before spilling over the edge, wasting energy. If the burn line is too close, dial the feed rate back a bit, may by 1/2 of a number (i.e. 3.5 to 3). The stove doesn't run wide open once everything is up to temp, so this is only for scenarios where, for instance, the room is 65 and you want it 75 degrees or you turn the temp dial all the way clockwise (just don't walk away for too long or you'll bake yourself...).

my question is: if in stove temp mode and feed set at #4 that means the stove will ramp up feed rate to a max of #4 speed until it reaches desired temp.
so if i have my feed setting all the time on #4 in stove temp mode and temp setting #7 why does the blower speed control my feed rate?
i can run feed rate #4 on temp #7 on low blower speed and i will never have pellet overflow,if i move the blower speed to max i have a waterfall of unburned pellets falling off the edge.the only way to stop it is turn the blower speed lower.turning the temperature knob lower,does not stop my pellet overflow.only turning the blower speed lower stops it.the sticky above says the temperature knob controls the feed rate as the stove needs it,yet on my stove thats not true,the blower speed is what slows down or speeds up my feed rate.i do not understand it?

The blower speed is slowing it down when lower because you are not disapating as much heat into the room. Set the feed rate with whatever blower speed you want so pellets do not dump over unburned and the temp at max setting. The blower on high will disipate more heat from the stove so then you can turn the feed rate up. This will be the maximum heat you can get with the stove with the pellet quality you are using. If you set the feed rate so pellets do not overflow unburned with the blower on high and the temp at the max then you can set the blower on any speed you want. The feed rate is a forced stop like a regulator. Think of a regulator on a go cart. You can floor it but it will only go so fast but it still allows you to go from stop through the max set by the regulator. The temp dial allows you to go from 0 to the regulated or in this case the feed rate.

thanks for the info TonyVideo.i understand a little better now.so my feed knob has nothing to do with me controlling how fast pellets come out,it is only a max number,the stove itself controls pellet flow.with temp and blower on max i have to turn the feed to #1.5-2 to prevent pellet overflow.as i turn the blower fan down i can increase my feed rate max
i am still a bit confused on how my first floor is 4-6 degrees warmer when i wake up after about 7hrs with the stove blower on low opposed to high

It was warmer because your pot had more pellets since you were running at a higher feed rate and it was supplying pellets as needed since it could get the pellets. When you turned the blower on high the feed rate was too low so it couldn't get what it needed to maintain exhaust temp. It was disapating too much air/heat. You were at both ends if the spectrum so in this instance the low fan speed allowed it to get up to the set temp. Setting the fan to high will give you max heat only if the feed rate was adjusted with the temp on highest setting. This will give you the max heat for those pellets. Now you know no matter what setting you use you will not spill over unused pellets. Now you can set the temp dial anywhere you want and it will maintain the exhaust temp in stove mode. In room temp you will be fine as well since it was set up running as hot as it could with those pellets. Better quality pellets will let you turn up the feed rate higher when set for those pellets which mean more heat. Better pellets burn hotter so you want hove to burn as many pellets to achieve the same output however you will be able to max out the stove. You probably aren't getting the max out of the stove at 1.5 feed rate. Try different brand of pellets when you can. That being said you may not need to reach the max depending on your home setup. The best thing about a Harman us they will burn anything because of the flexibility of these settings.

I think it is wrong to say that the ESP sensor controls the temperature stove
ESP sensor controls the temperature of the exhaust gas.
This is very different especially if you have an oak when it's cold outside for the same setting you consume more pellets to have the same temperature of the exhaust and the stove heat more

ESP in stove mode does control the temperature of the exhaust which in turn controls the temp of the stove. For sake of numbers because I do not know exactly for instance stove setting 4. Let's assume it is 300 degrees. The exhaust will always be 300 degrees and the stove will always be at the same temp at whatever that is at the top. If outside air is cooler it will call for more pellets to reach that 300 so again the top stays the same temp. It regulates itself to keep the same temp and why it is called stove mode. You could bring in - 10 degree air and measure the heat coming out and them bring in 80 degree outside air and the temp would be the same assuming no rise in indoor temps. This assumes a short period of time to stabilize if the outside air changed instantly. The stove does not put out more heat when colder air comes in. Remember it self adjusts to achieve the same exhaust Temps. It equalizes the box temps to achieve this. It uses more pellets slightly to bring the outside air up to the equalized level but it is still the same level as before since the exhaust Temps are the same.

p68 is Temp stove and when the air is cold outside for the same setting my stove gives a little more heat I heated all winter like that and every time it's the same

My neighbor has same stove and same house.he recommended this stove.he has had stove 3 yrs.he says he has never touched the feed setting.it has been on 4 since he got it.all he ever moves is temp and blower settings depending on how hot he wants his floor.he has always kept it in stove temp mode auto.he said he never had pellets fall off the edge unburned.wondering why mine has to have feed rate constantly changed depending on my blower speed?i am moving the feed setting 2-3x a day yet my buddy never touched his feed setting in 3 yrs

i was.i purchased 6 tons of 6 different ones to try.but my buddy has his stove 3 years and has used 4 or 5 different pellets also.he buys the cheapest thing he can find,this year he is burning timber heat from lowes,last year was hd green supreme,so even the 4 or 5 different pellets he has tried he never moved the feed and has stove in stove temp mode auto.

Set the feed rate at 3. Room temp auto and set the degrees you want, fan speed high and make sure it is clean and leave it alone. You are getting confused. Let it do its thing to heat at the desired temp you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.