Help with hearth extension?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wizards8507

Nov 7, 2016
CT
Hello again. I have an installation coming up this week and I'm hoping for guidance on a hearth extension. My current hearth is about 20" and the insert we're buying extends 9.5" onto the hearth and requires 18" of clearance. What's the easiest, cheapest, fastest way to get this taken care of? Is it as easy as buying one of these Type 2 hearth extenders on Amazon and laying it on the floor in front of the hearth? Does that count, or does it have to be flush to the existing hearth?

d58a6db0aecd0e1d686e383547bb1389.jpg

That might work. What is the insert make/model?

I see that in the manual. My confusion comes from measurement "E."

5f42000d3653e65910b4bea2403f1edb.jpg

744bfd786872ed1b2cead5dce89183a3.jpg

Are we sure that "hearth extension" and "floor protection" are the same thing?

Yes, you will be fine. You're extending the hearth at floor level.

Reactions: wizards8507
I don't think an inspector would approve a hearth rug. The extension needs to protect the floor at least 16" from the stove door. More protection is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.