Help with honda engine ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
I'm trying to find a replacement engine for my Honda snowblower (don't ask) but I'm having trouble identifying the correct replacement. Its a GX340 (11hp) and on the Honda website it tells me the GC05-38xxxxxx is my engine type but I can't find it anywhere online. The manual tells me its a GX340K1, but there's tons of them in all manner of shaft/recoil ect. I tried asking the local Honda dealer but they want to fix it, not help me figure out how to fix it: "we don't offer advice over the phone".

I'm going to pull the engine today and take some measurements on the type of shaft/bolt patterns/whatever. But while I've got the engine off, and it starts to snow outside........deep....dark...thoughts come to me..........Why not replace it with a bigger engine? It looks like the GX390 has similar bolt patterns, and is about the same price (and more common on craigslist). I've got that engine on my pressure washer right now. Maybe just a simple swap for right now while I rebuild the old one? I know I'm asking for trouble but out here in suburbia we like to live on the edge.

The gx390 and gx340 has the same bolt mounting holes.If you wouldn't mind giving the model# of your snow blower out,i can let you know what type of crankshaft it has,keyed or tapered.The engine on your pressure washer is probably keyed if the pump bolts too the back of it.

The model of my snowblower? But we haven't been properly introduced!

HS1132tas. I pulled the head and its not as bad I thought. Piece of metal was barely wedged into the head gasket. I'm really surpised it was enough to sieze it and keep me from trying to start it again. Kicked around and banged up the top but the cylinder wall is smooth with no scratches/score marks. Once I pulled the head the engine pulled freely, and seems to have good compression. Oil splash is good. Rods aren't bent. Valves we untouched. I may have shut it down in time, its just the recoil was siezed up so I figured I wrecked her.

I'm a bad parent.

The snow blower engine has a keyed shaft,and your pressure washer probably has a keyed crankshaft as well. The crankshaft are the same in both engines as long as they got a key way in them.All the parts are interchangeable on the gx340 and gx390 engines.The bolt patterns where they bolt down will be the same as well.You might have to use some of the external parts,from the snow blower engine to the other engine.

It was the valves. Put it back together and found it still wouldn't turn over(compression). Did a valve adjustment(like 3 times) and got it running pretty good, if not better than it was.

I'm still going to start looking for a spare gx390. I found a lot of after-market ideas on the pocket-bike websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.