Help with ID(Updated Pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I took these pictures back in May with my lousy cell camera. This is a young tree and it wasn't fully leafed out yet. My brother has a bunch of these young tree's on his property and needs to take some of them down to cut his drive in. It looks kinda like a young locust to me, it's probably wishful thinking on my part though since I've never had my hands on any. :lol: I might be going up this weekend so I'll get a better look.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 0523101414a.jpg
    0523101414a.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 559
  • 0523101415a.jpg
    0523101415a.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 548
The bark on that tree sure looks like black locust. Great burning wood, tops on the charts. Does not smell the greatest, but you cannot beat the BTUs.

I believe that is a hickory. The thick twigs, large leaves, and the way the leaves emerge remind me of hickory. Bark could be any of the hickories. It appears there are 9 or more leaflets on each leaf, which is a hint at which species of hickory it is, but I can't tell from the picture. Great firewood no matter what type of hickory you have.

I concur with hickory. Wrong leave and trunk for locust.

Either one works for me. Next time I go up I'll get a look at leaves with them fully developed.

Looks like walnut but just planted 6 of them so everthing looks like walnut...lol

smokinjay said:
Looks like walnut but just planted 6 of them so everthing looks like walnut...lol

I was also thinking walnut, walnut leaves seem to be more pointed though.

rdust said:
smokinjay said:

I was also thinking walnut, walnut leaves seem to be more pointed though.

with all the rain here my walnut leaves are pretty fat this year...The corn field behind my house is full of very nice sapling and easy to dig out... about 7 inchs in the last 7 days.

I just "Love" mowing around walnut trees.
Buzz-buzz-WHACK-ZING....buzz,buzz-WHACK - ZING. %-P

Also - I don't know if it is specific to "Black" walnut or not, but a black walnut will kill other plants and trees. For example, don't plant one next to an apple tree. The apple will go south on ya.

Jags said:
I just "Love" mowing around walnut trees.
Buzz-buzz-WHACK-ZING....buzz,buzz-WHACK - ZING. %-P

Also - I don't know if it is specific to "Black" walnut or not, but a black walnut will kill other plants and trees. For example, don't plant one next to an apple tree. The apple will go south on ya.

I have taken out a few old ones. The only big one (25ft) I have it mulch under the tree and the grass is doing well up to the mulch. They are a pain but I am going with walnut and ash planted about 20 ash and 15 walnut. I have nothing else for wind blocks and dont want the conifers and these grow quick for hardwood.

the tree and leaves in your pic are definitely black locust.

notice how the leaflets in the pic are perfectly oval - with no serrations around the border - those are locust leaves. hickories and walnut have serrated leaflet borders.

Methinks you are correct, young black locust. Leaves look right and young locust trees have those diamond-shaped ridges in the bark before they get the big, deep furrows of the older trees.

The bark also looks a bit like the mockernut hickory in my tree ID book, but the leaves are wrong, not pointy enough.

Either way, hickory or locust, you are lucky since both are up near the top of the BTU heap.

Would be nice if it turns out to be black locust, I've been looking for some to try out. It's not a large amount since the tree's are small but will be nice for some overnight loads on those - or single digit nights. This is what I currently use my shaggy hickory for.

Went up today and hung out with my brother. Figured I'd take some new shots while I was at it. Looks to me like the black locust crowd wins this one.

Attachments

• DSC_0415_271.jpg
    DSC_0415_271.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_0416_272.jpg
    DSC_0416_272.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 283
Now looks like locust not hickory!

rdust said:
Went up today and hung out with my brother. Figured I'd take some new shots while I was at it. Looks to me like the black locust crowd wins this one.

locust

Status
Not open for further replies.