Help with Identification of log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobeman

Feb 16, 2013
Iowa
Hello. In my search for a small splitter I've ran across this thing. Curious if anyone knows who may have built it. I have not went to look at it yet but the guy says it has auto forward and auto retract and you can set how far it retracts with the smaller rod. He thought it was a lickity, but obviously it isn't. Any thoughts? Thanks

Log Splittter.jpg

The wheels kinda remind me of a Bachtold Bros unit . But I do not recall Bachtold offering auto advance and limited retract options.

That looks to be one of those goofy "amplifier" type valves. I'll be darned if I can remember the MFG. that used to use those.

More/better pics might help.

My first thought was also a Lickety splitter. They have large wedged shaped like that, but there's something not quite right about the rest. And where's the hydraulic fluid reservoir--in beam?

Well I figure it out, Its a Log Boss. Built here in Iowa, Marble Rock. I went ahead and bought it. It's a neat lil thing rated at 18 ton. Yes the reservoir is in the beam, it's not vented which is strange. It splits nice but is lacking some power I'll call them tomorrow and see how to adjust the valve, the linkage was bent up some and I think when I straightened it all out I lost adjustment. I did read that they have a special oil to run in it and the guy I bought it from just changed it with regular hy tran. It will tilt on its side so you can roll big stuff up to it. It automaticly cycles and throttles down at the end of the stroke and when it's changing directions. It really is neat to watch it! Here is there web page, pretty plain just like this splitter. http://logbossmfg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.