Help with identifying tree species

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Thought it would be helpful to have a thread for methods of identifying an unknown tree. I'll start with leaves. Often one goes to a tree id website and gets tangled in the jargon because they use similar terms to describe the veins, the edges, etc.. Here is a nice chart that details the terms used to describe a leaf.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Leaf_morphology_no_title.png

Please add your favorite website for tree id by leaf, bark, wood, etc..

I always just say maple, I'm usually correct 25% of the time..lol

Reactions: Stinkpickle
I just went to take a picture of a pine tree that i got for free to identify the species. I've never seen a pine like this, it has orange-ish red bark. The site above www.arborday.org got it right away, scotch (or scots) pine. Nice site begreen!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 170
I've got a leaf in front of me from a tree I intended to post an ID thread for. Here's what begreen's first link told me:
Shape: Rhomboid
Margin: Spiny
Veins: Cross-Venulate

I've tried a few different paths through the workflow on that second link now and I'm not getting a match.

After a bunch more googling I found the match, Sycamore! The leaves match and so does the bark pattern peeling off the trunk as well as the spindly branches coming off the relatively narrow trunk. I don't know why I couldn't figure it out with these guides. The pocket style guides never worked for me the way my brain works.

Some of the sub species/ hybrids can really muck up the works at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.