Help with installing a distribution blower on a Harman XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonmerritt

Dec 2, 2012
Hi all new to this site, new to pellet stoves, and new to the online forum thing. I bought house that has a Harman XXV installed, up untill yesterday it had worked fantastic. I heard a loud squeeking sound, after investigating the source of the noise I found that it was the distribution blower (was not turning as it should). The previous owner purchased the stove from a place that is no longer in business and there are not many Harman Service techs in my area I was told that it would take up to 3 weeks to get someone out here to replace the distribution blower. They had suggested that i order the part through them and try to install in myself. Although I do not have the part yet I wanted to remove the old distribution fan. When talking with the sales person he had said that it was fairly simple to get at. I removed the back panels and it looked as though several things that needed to be removed before getting to the distribuiton blower. Is this true or do I access the distribution blower from a different location? Thought I would check with people from this site before I started taking the stove apart. Any help with this would be great!

Nothing else to remove other than the pipe itself. Its a pretty simple install. 4 Bolts hold the fan in place. If you are going to order another fan, make sure if it does notcome with a new gasket that you order one. They are cheap and propper suction and airflow is the key to making these stoves run right. It just makes sense to change the gasket while the blower is off. If you are even slightly handy, you will b able to look at te new blower and figure out how to install it. I hope this helps and Good luck!

Thanks CT Pellet. Would the gasket be for the pipe that i will remove or for the blower?

Thanks CT Pellet. Would the gasket be for the pipe that i will remove or for the blower?
Sorry John...I deleted my answer. I read your post too quickly and was thinking combustion blower, not convection blower. Good Luck.

Hi all new to this site, new to pellet stoves, and new to the online forum thing. I bought house that has a Harman XXV installed, up untill yesterday it had worked fantastic. I heard a loud squeeking sound, after investigating the source of the noise I found that it was the distribution blower (was not turning as it should). The previous owner purchased the stove from a place that is no longer in business and there are not many Harman Service techs in my area I was told that it would take up to 3 weeks to get someone out here to replace the distribution blower. They had suggested that i order the part through them and try to install in myself. Although I do not have the part yet I wanted to remove the old distribution fan. When talking with the sales person he had said that it was fairly simple to get at. I removed the back panels and it looked as though several things that needed to be removed before getting to the distribuiton blower. Is this true or do I access the distribution blower from a different location? Thought I would check with people from this site before I started taking the stove apart. Any help with this would be great!
ok, it would be helpful if you could put you location in your sig. Your blower may be ok but it should be removed and inspected at the least. To do this you are going to remove the rear side panels and unplug the stove (reverse order). On the control board side you are going to cut the zip tie that hold the wires secure going to that blower and then disconnect the wire leads at that location. To remove the blower you are going to need a 5/16 socket on about a 3" extension. The are four he. Screws holding in the assembly. On the opposite side of the control board up under the casting edge you will see two of the hex bolts. Loosen them 3 turns or so but leave them in. On the other side under the stove about 3/4 across you will see two more. Remove these completely. Lower this side down and pull and the whole assembly will fall to the floor. Pull out the assembly from the other side. Most likely there is a pellet obstructing the fins or the end bushing on the blower is dirty.

ok, it would be helpful if you could put you location in your sig. Your blower may be ok but it should be removed and inspected at the least. To do this you are going to remove the rear side panels and unplug the stove (reverse order). On the control board side you are going to cut the zip tie that hold the wires secure going to that blower and then disconnect the wire leads at that location. To remove the blower you are going to need a 5/16 socket on about a 3" extension. The are four he. Screws holding in the assembly. On the opposite side of the control board up under the casting edge you will see two of the hex bolts. Loosen them 3 turns or so but leave them in. On the other side under the stove about 3/4 across you will see two more. Remove these completely. Lower this side down and pull and the whole assembly will fall to the floor. Pull out the assembly from the other side. Most likely there is a pellet obstructing the fins or the end bushing on the blower is dirty.

Thanks, for the information. Removed the blower, cleaned it out, and still making the same noise. Thanks for the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.