Help with installing duraplus chimney kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FeedThatJones

Oct 21, 2015
Virginia
Hey guys and gals, im currently putting a woodstove in our doublewide we bought last year. I've purchased the duraplus manufactured home chimney kit to go through the roof. My question is, in roof supported installations do i need to still frame in between the joist? Or does it get its support from being fastened to the roof decking material? The reason i ask is our ceiling joist are 24" on center so i would have to remove a good chunk of drywall to build the framing and patch some of the drywall after the support box is installed.

Thanks

I have framed in the ceiling box on at least one side for better support, but according to DuraVent the roof should hold it. My concern is that the roof deck might be only 7/16" OSB. That is not a lot of meat to anchor in. Do you have the installation instructions?
Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 11.43.34 AM.png

I ended up making a frame as well. Once i cut the hole in the drywall for the support box i had enough room to easily make a frame. Seems pretty sturdy but im also going to make a brace for the chimney pipe on the roof.

Good going. A chimney brace is required at every 5 ft above the roof exit of the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.