Help with Jotul C350 or C450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bagpiper

Aug 18, 2008
Long Island NY
Hi,

I am looking to place an order for a Jotul Insert and need help with deciding to go with the C350 or the C450. This insert will be in the main living area of the home (Kitchen, Breakfast Area, and Den - TV room)

We are getting an insert since my wife and I both enjoy burning a fire each night and having the benefit of heat this year is a big plus.

I will be working out of the home this winter and the insert would help us keep the oil burner usage low.

The C350 looks like a better choice since it will be in a smaller area and does not need to heat the entire first floor.

I have included a floor plan and highlighted the parts of the home in red that will benefit from direct heating. The blue shaded areas benefit indirectly since we do not use those parts all the time. The home has 2 zone heating.

Does anyone have an opinions on why we should not get the C350 as opposed to the C450 ?

If we really like the insert we might put one in the second fireplace in the Formal Living Room next year.

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• Heating-Floor-Plan.jpg
    Heating-Floor-Plan.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 485
bagpiper, welcome to the forum!

The rule of thumb around here is to get the biggest insert that will fit into your fireplace, and into your budget. Does the rule apply to your situation? Maybe, or maybe not.

My C350 easily heats 700 sq ft (my whole house). According to Jotul's specs, the C450 would have fit into my fireplace, but I went with the cheaper unit. That ended up being better. It was a hassle connecting the chimney liner to the insert, so I can't imagine what it would have been like trying to deal with the larger one, having even less space to work.

Based on your floorplan, I think that the 450 would be a good choice, however, if you need to go with the 350 it certainly will provide enough heat for the areas you have highlighted. If you decide to add a second insert in the living room, I would definitely go with something larger than the 350, and hope to get some of that heat upstairs.

Are these full masonry fireplaces and chimneys, or are they zero-clearance?

thanks for the reply six !

Both fireplaces are full masonry fireplaces with chimneys. I have attached some photos of the fireplaces.

The first 2 photos are of the same fireplace, the brick was repainted. The original owner had painted it red and grey.

The 3rd photo is of the living room.

The salesman suggested the C350 due to the size of the room we are heating. I was leaning in that direction myself because I did not want it to get to hot.

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 355
  • P1110048.JPG
    P1110048.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 332
  • livingroom.jpg
    livingroom.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 325
Those are really nice looking fireplaces.

The one in the family room would be fine with the C350.

The living room looks huge. Consider something significantly larger than the 350 for that fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.