help with jotul f 602 cb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peschio

Nov 13, 2008
central wyoming
thank god I found this forum! I have so many questions. I have twenty years residential construction expierence so I am not totally clueless. I recently purchased a jotul f 602 cb with metalbestos DSP and ultratemp pipe. My questionis about the connection between the stove and the DSP. The adaptor supplied with the stove does not fit properly or even connect postivly. I cant seem to find the proper adaptor (and have some concerns about my dealers relaxed attitude and willingness to find out) I also have concerns about the cook plate that just rests on top, it seems as though it would leak smoke and gases. Does it need sealed or am I missing something.
Any help would greatly appreciated. Thank you

Great little stove. The cook plate should be fine with no smoke leaks.

Our 602 was connected with single wall pipe, so the connection was easy. I looked up the Selkirk 6" stove pipe adapter and see your dilemma. Can I assume that you have the Jotul 105mm to 154mm flue adapter in place? If yes that should give an exactly 6" flue collar. Problem is it appears that Selkirk made their flue pipe adapter so that it is 6.5" on the outside of the crimp. What were they thinking? By comparison, the Simpson adapter is 5 15/16".

So far I haven't found a Selkirk solution. But here's at least one solution. Maybe you'll find a better one. Simpson makes a snap lock adapter that will get you close to the dimensions you need and it's in black. The Simpson adapter is 6 3/16 on the top and 5 15/16 at the stove collar. That should work. However, if the catalog dimensions are correct, I think you will need a crimping tool to more aggressively crimp both the adapter end and the DSP pipe end to get this work.

Certainly this is not ideal. Before going this route, call Selkirk first and see if they have a better solution. 1.800.992.VENT (8368)

I'll bump it for ya.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

I don't know how the Jotul tops fit on but I have a top loading Leyden and the cast iron lid just sets on the fiberglass rope seal. It works great with no leaks.

The adapter for your 602 is probably as close as you can get. I have had a 118 and a 606 that had adapters. Their are two adapters available. I thought the adapter I purchased for the 606 was too big ( this being the more expensive one that I painted without trying first) :ahhh:The other adapter was the same way, so I screwed it on anyway and never had any problems with smoke escaping. The plate on top needs a gasket on it. It should have a channel for the rope to sit in, not sure of the size maybe 5/16.

I do have the jotul adaptor in place. If I mix and match pipe will that affect the warranty or is that even an issue. Thanks for the phone#, I am calling this morning (its starting to get cold & I need this done) I will let you guys know what selkirk says. Thanks again.

Normally one would not mix stove pipe parts. There is no law against it and some cases, like a support, it doesn't matter. But normally, they don't make or interlock together, so it's a bad idea. Clearly what I've suggested is a cobbled together solution. I'm hoping that Selkirk will have an option that I've missed. Let us know what you find out.

I too found that 6" pipe fit perfectly in the the adaptor. My pipe goes out the top. I used 6"adjustable lenght pipe with a little funace cement around it.. I then went right into the ceiling pass thru thimble ( may not have named that correct). As for the top plate on the stove, the only time I've seen some smoke out that is when I have started the stove with a very cold chimney. Since I've changed to the top down style when starting it has not been a problem.

I'm on the hunt for a 602CB to heat about 300-400 sq ft in an older mobile home(just remembered that I had better check to see if it's m. home rated.) If it is then I'm sure this thread will help me when it comes to set it up.

"The DSP6SA-1 is for a 6" diameter stove outlet with a thick collar. If your collar is 1/8" or less, you should not need the stove adapter. However if it is thicker.....and definitely if it is getting remotely close to 1/4" in thickness then you do need the stove adapter.
However since I am not familiar with every stove, I can't tell you which ones require the stove adapter and which do not. Checking the thickness of the outlet collar will let you know."

This is the reply I received from metalbestos support. It doesnt seem to answer my questions.

The good news is that I have a adaptor enroute from my dealer that I am assured will solve the problem. They couldnt give me a part# so I am in wait and see mode.

I very much appreciate the response to my questions and plan on visiting freqently. This forum seems right up my alley, ecspecially since this is my first stove and I no doubt will have many questions. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.