help with major fire place project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I have a serious problem. My fireplace is a mess. There was an old massive wood-burning insert that I was using when I moved in. It never worked right and after a few burns I decided I needed to replace it. So I bought my stove, Jotul F3 CB and parts and brought them home.
I tore the monster of an insert out and hauled it to the dump, not even worth scraping. Now I need to fit the square peg in the round hole. Of course my firebox is smaller than every other firebox in the country. From the hearth to the top plate is only 21” and I need 25 ½” or 23 ¼” (with the short leg kit) for the stovepipe to clear the top plate. To add to insult, the hearth for the stove to sit on is 15” deep, which is too narrow. The front legs will be right on the edge. Of course when I measured around the old insert I though there would be more room. The rock used for the hearth is not flat and has different dimensions.
So…… It’s probably not worth the work, however, every project I do has major problems and rework. Nothings easy. I’m tearing out this mess and putting my stove in if it kills me.
In doing so, I will not make the hearth as long. Now it continues past the fireplace four feet to the wall. I want to push my TV back against the wall and gain more living room space.
I broke off some of the rock from the hearth and it looks like under the rock is snider block, the kind you would build a block wall with. I’m going to tear out the entire hearth.
Then what??? What would be the best thing to do?? If I ever sell my house, my stove is going with me, so I need to leave it with a working fireplace or ready for an insert of some kind. My wife and I are not big fans of the rock they used. Should I take it all out? It goes to the ceiling. Or should I leave the rock and lower the hearth???
If anyone has ideas or has seen some one deal with this kind of issue, please respond. I need all the advice I can get. I will try and post photos. Thank you for this great forum.

Mark

Attachments

• Fire Place.jpg
    Fire Place.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 507
  • Fire Place 2.jpg
    Fire Place 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 474
  • Fire Place 3.jpg
    Fire Place 3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 469
  • Fire Place 4.jpg
    Fire Place 4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 471
  • Fire Place 5.jpg
    Fire Place 5.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 477
  • F 3 CB.jpg
    F 3 CB.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 482
Ask around in your area if anyone knows of a retired mason who does side work. This is what I did many years ago on the fireplace that is shown in my signature. It took me quite a while to find someone. I stopped at job sites and asked any trades people that I knew. Finally found a retired ex-union brick mason through a friend that knew a retired concrete contractor at our church. My fireplace was stone and in much worse shape than yours. I am sure you can find someone willing to work with you to remedy the situation if you ask around. In my case we became life long friends and we worked together on may jobs through the years. He is deceased now but I think of him everytime we use the stove.

Thank you for the response.
I do know of a good mason, who can help me. I just need a plan. I would like to know if you would try and take the bottom of the firebox to the floor. I really like the idea of the stove on the floor. But I don't know how much work thats going to be and if thats going to make the fire place a "stove option" only fire place. The bottom of the firebox is about 14-15" off the floor. We have a concrete slab foundation. Whats under the firebox???? Is it solid brick or concrete? or is it filled with something else?

or option 2 is to lower the hearth even with the firebox (down 3 1/2" from where it is) and make the hearth out of a flat wide stone so the stove will fit on it.

Ill attach photos of examples of both ideas. I really would like to know whats under that firebox, if anyone knows?
thank you again.
Mark

Attachments

• Hearth 2.jpg
    Hearth 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 430
  • Fire box.jpg
    Fire box.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 442
  • floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 432
  • floor 2.jpg
    floor 2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 425
  • floor 3.jpg
    floor 3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 418
  • Hearth 1.jpg
    Hearth 1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 430
  • Hearth 3.jpg
    Hearth 3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 443
Yes, the fire place is on an exterior wall. It the west side of the home, approx 35' foot wall for the living room and kitchen. If I start knocking brick out will the whole chimney come falling down?

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 400
First I'd investigate those two vents in the sides of the firebox. It looks like they go straight out the side. Probably want to block those up.
If it was mine, I'd knock down the hearth extension to floor level, and make new hearth pad flush with the floor for the stove to sit in front of the existing chimmney. Leave the firebox height as is. Demo the stone facing. Perhaps close over firebox and add a thimble for stove pipe connection to a liner. Perhaps leave an access panel for cleaning the stove pipe.

It appears that the metal box doors inside the fireplace lead to the outside of the chimney vents. I'm not sure why they did this? Anyone know what these are for? and there appears to be an access pannel on the outside of the chimney. Theres a metal plate.

Attachments

• Fire box.jpg
    Fire box.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 343
  • vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 354
  • vent 2.jpg
    vent 2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 361
  • vent 3.jpg
    vent 3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 345
gizmos said:
It appears that the metal box doors inside the fireplace lead to the outside of the chimney vents. I'm not sure why they did this? Anyone know what these are for? and there appears to be an access pannel on the outside of the chimney. Theres a metal plate.

Early OAK (Outside Air Kit) ??

Peace,
- Sequoia

BTW, I second those who say to consult with a local mason before doing any demo on this FP and chimney. It's likely that the hearth (in front of firebox) is not a structural part of the FP and chimney, but the mason will be a lot better qualified to tell you than anyone just looking at pics on the net.

Hi all,
Just wanted to give you an update on the project. Jack hammered out all 12 feet of hearth. Makes my living room look huge!!! I called a friend of mine who's a mason and he helped me put the fireplace back together. Been shopping tile for the floor and then I'll be ready to get her in! I'll attach some photos.

Attachments

• removed hearth.jpg
    removed hearth.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 283
  • removed hearth 2.jpg
    removed hearth 2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 272
Rebuilding the fire place.

Attachments

• rebuilding fireplace.jpg
    rebuilding fireplace.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 268