Help with melted plastic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pcxc61

Feb 1, 2024
North carolina
I have an Jotul 8 red enameled stove (with the spin draft). It was in the house when I bought it 5 years ago. A fantastic stove. Last night I noticed a smell and realized that I had somehow left a plastic tape measure on the stove. Of course it partially melted. I got most off of it with a wooden spatula, but there is some residue left. Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to remove the rest? I did not want to use any chemicals that could hurt the enamel until I checked with people who might know better...and are not absent minded enough to leave plastic on their stove!

Thanks for your help.

I have had the best luck just letting it burn off. Kids were playing somehow a doll got pressed agains the glass and enamel door. Scraped what I could. Then just let the the heat do its thing srubbing with a damp rag when it was cool enough to do so. If it’s a lot of plastic. That may not be the best plan.

I have had the best luck just letting it burn off. Kids were playing somehow a doll got pressed agains the glass and enamel door. Scraped what I could. Then just let the the heat do its thing srubbing with a damp rag when it was cool enough to do so. If it’s a lot of plastic. That may not be the best plan.
Thanks. I was wondering about doing that. Most of it is off and it is only in spots.

I had two opposing thoughts: If it's enough to catch an edge and chip off, I might try getting it as cold as possible then trying to chip it off maybe with a plastic putty knife or a sharp wood "chisel".

If it's not much, I'd probably try to heat it up and scrape or scrub as much as possible as it heats up, then burn the rest off avoiding the fumes. Clean up the residue later.

It sounds like you have a sample of the plastic in the remainder of the tape measure, so you could experiment on that to see what it does at different temperatures, to get an idea what approach might work best. I might also experiment with the collection of extremely harsh chemicals in my garage and see if there might be one that turns out to be the kryptonite to that plastic, solvents for cleaning fuel systems or carburetors are probably where I'd start, since they tend to be tough on plastics - but as they say, test in an inconspicuous area of your stove first! If it's still sold only in a metal container with a metal lid, that would be a clue...

Thanks everyone. After getting off everything I could with the wood spatula and plastic knife, I then burned t off. It worked pretty well. Just a little left and that will come off in time I think. I appreciate all the help!

Reactions: EbS-P