Help with metal lined firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccr11395

Oct 30, 2007
Orange,NY
Hi all I need help with my fireplace. I am told it is a old heatalator style fireplace liner. Hopefully from the pictures you can see what sad shape it is in.The previous owner had installed a Lopi insert that I removed because of a lot of heat coming out from behind the wood mantel From the pictures I hope you can see that that hole is right where the the firebox and the terracotta flue meet .The stove was installed with a ss insulated liner .I hope to fix this myself .The fire box liner is in bad shape and some of the cement is lose. Can I remove the liner and use chamber tech to repair the firebox and will the same method work for the hole behind the mantel. thank you .

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 394
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 379
This is not an easy job to replace. There are contractors who specialize in it - a repair usually consists of removing the entire metal box and replacing it with either a new metal box or refractories that are made for this job.

You should start your inquiry at:
http://www.bellfiresusa.com/

They may be able to send you to some local dealers who can inspect and fix. It may be that a combination of various technologies (chamber tech, bellfire) are needed to fully repair this unit.

If you are going to install a wood, pellet or gas unit in this fireplace, you probably do not have to spend the many thousands that it will take to repair all this damage.....the problems still have to be addressed, but not in the same exact way.

Status
Not open for further replies.