Help with Metalbestos outside wall install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMoore

Aug 25, 2008
Ohio
I have a Bunco wood stove I am installing in my basement. I'm going the Metalbestos route and going out my cider block wall and up the side of the house. I have a 10" overhang I have to go around. Can the T-support be shimmed out using treated lumber to get past the overhang? Has anyone done this in the same situation? This is what the dealer is recommending to do away with the elbows. Thanks.

Yes it could be blocked to move it out. But adding 8" of blocking would take a large stack of 2x4s. I'd look at what it wold take to go up through the soffit.

I may have to go the route of notching out the gable end. If I shim it out, I will have to shim out the support straps as well. On to another question... I know the through the house install would be better for draft, but it isn't feasable in my situation. I will have about a 18' run of pipe on the outside. Will I get better draft out of the Metalbestos over a masonry chimney?

sawdustburners said:
brace that sukka up good for if & when the ice comes off the roof...good luck

I shouldn't have any ice problems, it will be on the gable end of the house.

And you'll bet even better draft (plus looks) if the pipe is enclosed in an insulated chase.

Thanks. I just talked with the Metalbestos dealer and he said he can fabricate a support that would get me out past the 12" gable. That will make things alot easier for me. He is going to call me back shortly with a price for everything I will need for an 18' run. I will post back to see if the price seems reasonable. The insulated chase may be a project for next summer.

Total cost with tax for everything I need for an 18' run is $1,580. Seems to jive with other quotes I have gotten from other Metalbestos and Duratech dealers.

Maybe the actual situation is more complicated, but my thought is that if you are going to go with an insulated chase next year then why not cut the soffit now in preparation for this future chase and install the pipe with conventional brackets? If it is just an overhang then this should be very easy. If it is an enclosed soffit, then temporary caps could close the openings until next year's installation of the chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.