Help with model of harman wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rydin1

Nov 21, 2016
Kingston, ny
Hi all, first post here, so I'm sorry if wrong spot. I recently purchased a used harman wood/coal stove. However, the ID plate is missing, and I can't find the model ANYWHERE. I need specific installation guidlines , but it's impossible without the id and model number. Posting pics in hopes someone may know or point me in right direction. 1121161919a.jpg 1121161920a.jpg

Attachments

• 1121161920a.jpg
    1121161920a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 1121161920.jpg
    1121161920.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 1121161919.jpg
    1121161919.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 241
Kind of looks like a pellet stove. In the picture that shows the cast letters KE, what does the rest of that say? What size is the flue outlet? Is there a UL label on the back of the stove that lists the model?

It says " keep door closed". Its 7" diameter. The numbers on the inside door don't match the numbers on back of gold harman logo plate, worries me

Show us pics inside the stove. You need to be aware that if the ul tag is missing it is a non listed stove regardless. So you would have to go to the 36" clearances. Unless you can call harman and get them to issue you a new tag. Which is not very likely

So no label on the back of the stove at all?

The numbers probably represent the casting part numbers. If so, I'm not concerned that they don't match.

Inside. Pics following...

So your saying if the ID PLATE is missing, I HAVE TO USE guidelines for 36" clearances...so 3 feet on each side?

Attachments

• 1121162011.jpg
    1121162011.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 1121162010c.jpg
    1121162010c.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 1121162010b.jpg
    1121162010b.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 228
No label on back at all. I can see where it was removed. I contacted previous owner but he has no clue. I called store where it was purchased but they were no help.

Looking like this is a coal stove. If no ID, try posting the picture on the coal forum
www.nepacrossroads.com

So your saying if the ID PLATE is missing, I HAVE TO USE guidelines for 36" clearances...so 3 feet on each side?
Yes without that tag acording to code it is like any other unlisted stove.

Yes it is obviously a coal stove but I have never seen it before. And I work on lots of harman coal stoves I like the look of it though. Have you called harman and sent them pics? It also looks like the piece on the top in your last pic may be warped can you post a better pic of it?

I literally have browsed thousands of pics and can't find one that matches exactly.

I will call harman tomorrow

If it's a coal stove, can I use it as a wood stove?

The piece you said is warped seems quite solid, but I don't know anything bout these lol

Attachments

• 1121162036.jpg
    1121162036.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 171
It looks in decent condition from what is showing. The stove will burn wood, but very inefficiently with a lot of heat lost up the chimney. The air supply is wrong for wood and there is no baffle or secondary combustion system. Let us know what you find out from Harman. This is an interesting stove.

If it's a coal stove, can I use it as a wood stove?
You can but it will burn through wood like crazy. That does look like a pretty badly warped piece on the top. It looks like it may be part of the baffle but hard to tell from the pics.

Yes, it does look warped. Maybe a basic airwash deflector for that large window?

You know they did make a convertable wood / coal stove that looked similar to that we used to work on one but I am not sure if that is it. If it is you may be able to get the parts to convert it to a wood stove which was epa approved.

Yes, it does look warped. Maybe a basic airwash deflector for that large window?
No it looks like it is back way to far in the firebox for that.

Ok those handles. And I really think that is their convertible stove. But you need the parts to convert it. The bottom handle is for the shaker grates the top one looks like a bypass handle which probably wont work with that upper part warped the way it is. What does the upper handle do when you move it?

Mystery to me. All I have seen are more modern units and many less than you have seen for sure.

Ok those handles. And I really think that is their convertible stove. But you need the parts to convert it. The bottom handle is for the shaker grates the top one looks like a bypass handle which probably wont work with that upper part warped the way it is. What does the upper handle do when you move it?
It opens up a metal vent. Opens and closes pretty easily. I can't get a good pic to describe it

It opens up a metal vent. Opens and closes pretty easily. I can't get a good pic to describe it
ok so it is a bypass and atleast it works. When closed does it seal on whatever frame it rests on? Or is there a gap where it meets that piece that looks warped? I wish I remembered more about the stove we used to work on but it has been a few years and I just don't remember anymore.

ANY idea on year this might be? Was just looking for a woodstove, now I'm stuck with a warped coal stove, haha.

I would guess mid 90s but that is a total guess. If you want a wood stove don't buy a stove with shaker grates in the bottom that is a dead giveaway that it is a coal stove.